Wrist Blades, also known as Gauntlet Knives, are the most basic Yautja weapons and the weapon of choice for most Predators. They are retractable, serrated blades between six and eighteen inches in length and two to eight inches wide that extend over the back of the hand from a gauntlet worn on the Predator's wrist. Typically, the blades come in pairs, mounted in parallel. These deadly weapons are sharp enough to cut through bone and are intended for use against unarmored combatants. As a last resort, they can sometimes be fired as a projectile from their gauntlet.
Wrist Blades, owing to their exclusively close-range nature, are considered among the most honorable weapons a Predator can use when killing prey. As a point of pride, the Brawlers arm themselves with these melee weapons exclusively, inflicting a crippling amount of damage without using ranged weapons.
Wrist Blades are not without drawbacks. For example, some longer blades are not covered by a hunter's Cloaking Device and even when they are, they will sometimes be visible through the cloak if covered in large amounts of blood and gore. Not all Wrist Blades are resistant to the acidic effects of Xenomorph blood and will consequently melt during combat with Xenomorphs, though this problem seems to apply only to Young Bloods, to encourage them to use their more acid resistant weapons, as the Yautja possess the means to forge metals that are immune to Xenomorph acid.
On BG-386, Dark was able to open doors in ancient Yautja ruins by inserting his Wrist Blades into specific slots, indicating they have been in use for centuries and also carry non-combat uses, at least in ceremonial temples.
Several variations of the standard Wrist Blade design have been seen.
- The Jungle Hunter had slightly prehensile Wrist Blades that could extend outwards to pin prey between them without damaging them.
- Dark, Spartan, Wolf (BG-386), Claw and many Predators of the Elite Clan carried Wrist Blades on both of their arms.
- Celtic possessed Wrist Blades that could reverse direction.
- Stone Heart possessed Wrist Blades with triple blades. The Cambodian Predator wore a similar triple Wrist Blade.
- The Super Predators used a singular Wrist Blade design that featured only one, extended blade.
- While the vast majority of Wrist Blade units possess a pair of parallel blades, some Yautja have been known to use Wrist Blades that incorporate only a single blade, most notably the Super Predators. Some Yautja have also been known to use triple-bladed Wrist Blades, most notably the Bad Blood Stone Heart.
- Scimitar - A single, lengthy blade carried on the forearm, similar to Wrist Blades in function.
- ↑ Stephen Hopkins, Kevin Peter Hall, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Stan Winston, Joel Silver, John Davis, Jim Thomas, John Thomas. The Making of Predator 2: Weapons of Choice — Gauntlet Knives [DVD]. 20th Century Fox.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Paul W.S. Anderson (writer and director). Alien vs. Predator [DVD]. 20th Century Fox.
- ↑ Predator: Concrete Jungle [PlayStation 2, Xbox]. Vivendi Universal Games.
- ↑ Aliens versus Predator: Extinction [PlayStation 2, Xbox]. Zono Inc.
- ↑ Aliens vs. Predator [Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360]. Rebellion.
- ↑ Marc Cerasini (2004). Aliens vs. Predator. ISBN 0-06-073537-6.