Having a bit of trouble with a user on the new "Xenoburster" page and it dosen't look like we'll be coming to a conclusion anytime soon. Was wondering if you could check out the talk page and see what would be for the best. Heatlineheard (talk) (Contribs) 17:06, March 7, 2016 (UTC)
- Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I see Cruentus has already checked it out but I'll still head over there and have a look.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 09:22, March 8, 2016 (UTC)
Those Pages are from the dark horse website and are preview pages so I don't think having them is a problem. Whether here or there, they'd still be viewable, however if it worries you that much, sure -- take them down. Just leave a link to the source at least.Werebereus - ಠ_ಠ 10:20, March 10, 2016 (UTC)
- Dark Horse can show the previews because Dark Horse owns the book — it was published by DH Press. I couldn't be sure where they stand on having them reposted elsewhere without permission, and anyway, like I said, I'm not really sure what they add to the page. A detailed plot summary would be better. I have actually been working my way through the novels adding plot details, but obviously there are a lot to do and I'm not onto the Predator books yet.
- As for a link to the preview, sure, I'll stick one in. Might do the same for the other DH Press books, which I assume also have similar previews.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 10:30, March 10, 2016 (UTC)
- People might want to read it for themselves. It any case, here's the link: https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/Previews/13-174?page=0 Werebereus - ಠ_ಠ 10:32, March 10, 2016 (UTC)
- I see you point, but I honestly think the link is a neater way to do that. Anyway, done, and I've added similar links to all the other DH Press novel pages.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 10:43, March 10, 2016 (UTC)
Put, please, on the Main page interwiki links to the Ukrainian project http://uk.avp.wikia.com/.
- I'm just signing off for the day but I will look into it tomorrow.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 16:59, March 10, 2016 (UTC)
- Done.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 09:55, March 11, 2016 (UTC)
My page is more complete, has pictures, ect. Just move what I failed to mention to the new page and delete/rename the old one. It's easier that way. It's late, I wont be doing any editing for a couple of hours.Werebereus - ಠ_ಠ 10:08, March 11, 2016 (UTC)
- It's more that the other page has the correct name. I'm aware your article is more complete, but it's named incorrectly — we don't include ranks in article titles and it doesn't mention his first name. But anyway, if you're going offline now I'll move things about myself.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 10:11, March 11, 2016 (UTC)
- Like I said, switch the names. Simple.Werebereus - ಠ_ಠ 10:12, March 11, 2016 (UTC)
Xenomorph gender Edit
Werebereus seems to disagree with the idea that the Xenomorph gender is asexual. Though i've tried to undo his edits on the Xenomorph pages he's created that usually state their gender is indeterminate/genderless its only fuel for an edit war so I stopped early on. After telling him to see an admin about it I don't believe he's budged and he's inclined to belive that the entire wiki's Xeno pages need adjusting if they state their gender is asexual.
- Sorry, as usual I was AWOL all weekend and I've only just seen your message!
- I guess technically "genderless" and asexual are the same thing, but asexual would be the scientific term and it's the word used in the only official source I've ever seen to address Xenomorph gender — so it's the one we should use too. Thanks for bringing it to me. I haven't heard anything from him about this so I'll drop him a message and see what he says.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 09:00, March 14, 2016 (UTC)
Re: Xenomorph GenderEdit
I noticed that unless an individual Xenomorph is assigned a gender (like Specimen 6 or Chet), the Wiki tends to list them as "asexual". But here's the thing: Asexual is not a gender or a sex, it's a sexual orientation that denotes the lack of sexual interest a person has in other people OR a creature that reproduces by itself without help from another creature, not even another of it's own species. Neither of these definitions fit the alien.
Aliens do not have genitals therefore they are sexless. They are not sentient enough to care about any such thing as how "masculine" or "feminine" they feel, so they are genderless as well. Sex and gender aren't the same thing, but that's a talk for a different day; this wiki definitely isn't the first to mix them up.
Heat has no arguments except that "the majority of the site has them listed as asexual". Well, in that case the majority of the site just needs to be corrected, because a sexuality cannot be your gender. I told him this, he persisted, and now here we are.Werebereus - ಠ_ಠ 13:48, March 14, 2016 (UTC)
- I never insulted your sourcing ability. The Wikia is a secondary source by virtue of being a wiki, so why would you link to it? Why would you reference yourself? A primary source is more reliable, and the references you put were not primary sources. You did not link off-site to any official information and while I have no reason NOT to trust your word, I am just skeptical by nature. Just going "its in this book on this page" -- which is essentially what you did -- isn't good enough. Do you have the book? The Page maybe? Can you tell or show us where it says the aliens are 'Asexual'? I'd be much more happy to leave the issue alone if you could.
- And HOW is the word used? How exactly? 'The Xenomorph is Asexual' could mean ANY number of things, its very vague. Does is specifically say it's gender is asexual? And if Genderless is inappropriate, then we can just say they're sexless. It's true enough, since they do not have genitals as I've stated before. ( heres something saying drones and warriors are all male. not pertinent, just interesting ). Until you show me just where it says they're "asexual", I'm not going to accept it.
If you have the page, just upload it and we can be done with this.Werebereus - ಠ_ಠ 15:15, March 14, 2016 (UTC)
- Your sources contained links that linked back to the Wiki. Maybe it's just that I'm not used to sourcing in such a way, I don't know, but siting a primary source that isn't readily available just seems iffy to me. The Bleach Wiki tells what pages everything is on as well, but the difference is that manga pages are easily accessible online for everyone to see. You're pretty much going "its in here, take my word for it" and like I said, I don't doubt you're word but I'd like something that is without a doubt proof that they are called asexual in regards to their gender/sex (which, again, asexuality has nothing to do with). And what do you mean it was never intended to direct me anywhere? What do you thing a reference is? It REFERS people to where they got the information and the fact you will not answer my questions about what the magazine says verbatim is really starting to make me question you.
- For example, I knew the information regarding the Chestburster being cancerous and inherently was incorrect, as Paul Church was infested and suffered no I'll effects. I knew it was wrong, but I left it alone until I had absolute, unquestionable proof in the form of pictures that I was right. And you can absolutely link to images and the like for a source. Don't want to put it directly on the site? Easy, make a Dropbox account (or send the pictures to me, since I already have one) and i'll just give you the link to the picture. Example:
Claim: Simba is Kion's father.
- ↑ Saxon, Victoria, Mike Wall, and Ford Riley. The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar. N.p.: Disney, 2015. 1. Print.
I linked off-site, instead of of uploading it here, and since it's for informational and educational purposes, so it falls under fair use does it not? I am definitely not against you if you want to source professionally, however the primary source needs to be accessible to everyone. That's my only gripe.Werebereus - ಠ_ಠ 21:12, March 14, 2016 (UTC)
Permission to change Kane's quote Edit
So I've had a small gripe with Kane's quote for a while now. I mean, yeah it looks fine since you assume Kane says this when he wakes from his facehugging but he doesn't. It's actually when he's at the table after waking up from cryo. The quote just seems a bit misleading to me and I'd rather an ACTUAL quote after he wakes up from his coma than one that i'd say 98% of people would believe that it IS the latter. I was wondering about the smothering quote?
I'll also see if I can expand upon his personality at all.
- Sorry, as usual I've been away over the weekend. Sorry about that. Maybe I should change my status to "part-time slacker" rather than "active".
- I don't see any reason why the quote at the top can't be something that isn't related to the Facehugging, but then again I've got no real gripe with you changing it either. Ideally the page top quote should simply be something particularly memorable that the character says, ideally their most memorable line. This obviously becomes harder with characters who don't have any especially quotable dialogue (or a shit-ton of it, like Hudson). I think the "you look dead" thing is just one that always stuck in my head, probably why I originally went with it.
- But like I said, no problem with it being changed. I did reinstate the original quote in the personality section, just because there's no reason not to have it on the page, and it is kinda related to his character. As I was doing that I was actually thinking his personality section is terribly bare, so if you want to add some more by all means please do. It was a long time ago that I originally overhauled the pages for the Alien characters, so I wouldn't be surprised if they need a little refreshing.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 09:33, March 21, 2016 (UTC)
Revolver And Related EditsEdit
Hi. I don't even know I'm doing is correct, cause I don't know if you can send messages so this is as good as it gets. I'd like to say thanks for understanding what I was trying to say about the revolver's effect on the alien in Alien: Isolation. I wasn't trying to say the revolver could actually harm the Drone. Most sources claim that the it's completely bulletproof; "bullets bounce right of it" is what PlayStation mag says, which I don't believe to be true and it was also previously said here that bullets don't even leave a mark on it's exoskeleton. What I wanted to say was that the bullets penetrate the Drone's exoskeleton and cause it to bleed, but only does so to a very shallow extent and thus causes it minor damage and annoyance (nothing that can be displayed in a meaningful way, in game). The game designers constantly stated that their Alien is larger than any previously seen in that variation (drones, warriors, runners, etc. not naturally large ones like a Queen) and I thought that could also mean it was tougher than them as well. Thank you again for understanding and sorry for wasting your time. Cooltim52 (talk) (Contribs) 17:08, March 22, 2016 (UTC)
- Hi cool, the Drone does indeed bleed acid when shot with guns but it is simply cosmetic as the Xenomorph doesn't actually take damage, its not because its tougher than other Xenomorphs, it simply due to the plot of the game. The Drone is not meant to be killable. -- The Cruentus(Talk) 11:21, March 23, 2016 (UTC)
I appreciate the constructional critisism you provided today. I'm new to wikia in general so I really need to figure where things go and do not. I wrote a general description of the one of the spinoff novels if you would like to check it out. I thank you for the kind words.
How is this duplicate my fault? If you guys would actually NAME THE PAGES WHAT THEY ACTUALLY ARE we wouldn't have this problem. All this content I'm adding and you're getting on me for a minor mistake and threatening to "take action" against me, as if it's that serious. I'm not deliberately spurning you, if that's what you think. Just delete the duplicates and go on your merry way, it is not that big of a deal.
Sheesh, I may not even ADD anymore content.Werebereus - ಠ_ಠ 15:59, March 27, 2016 (UTC)
I believe I understood you last time, cropping 250/250 vs just setting the pixels as 250/250 on the actual wiki itselfWerebereus - ಠ_ಠ 10:50, March 29, 2016 (UTC)
- Noted. I'm usually somewhat hesitant to block people using just their IP address because in some countires people don't have a fixed IP address, so it can change. Case in point — his two most recent edits to the Christopher Samuels page came from different IPs. Also blocking an IP can sometimes affect more than one user (thereby unintentionally blocking potentially innocent editors).
- That said, this guy clearly isn't going to stop so I'll hand him a ban.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 08:59, April 4, 2016 (UTC)
Wolf status Edit
I noticed you reverted that unreg user's again. Just to clarify, the term protagonist doesn't mean hero or heroic or even good, it is just someone who is the or a main character, they can even be a villain. Aliens are not evil but can be considered antagonists due to the threat they pose. Both of these terms have little to do with morality and more about the roles they play in a story. -- The Cruentus(Talk) 09:15, April 5, 2016 (UTC)
- Fair enough, my mistake. But having looked it up, antagonist is defined as someone who is against the protagonist(s). I guess it's debatable whether or not Wolf was against the human protagonists in the film. But if you think he should be counted as a protagonist then fair enough, I'll revert.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk)Leigh Burne (talk) (Contribs) 09:46, April 5, 2016 (UTC)
- I wasn't saying you needed to revert, just that him killing an innocent doesn't mean he can't be considered a Protagonist, its true he serves as an antagonist too, for the humans. 22.214.171.124 09:48, April 5, 2016 (UTC)
It was late when I added most of that and I was tired. I'll go back and "correctly" source everything later, once I get time to skim through the book. It's kinda pointless though, I think, because whether or not the specific page number is there, if the person doesn't have the book, they still have to take my word for it.
But yeah, I'll get to it. I just got the book today and sorta frenzied when it came to adding information 8/Werebereus - ಠ_ಠ 13:44, April 6, 2016 (UTC)
So i've clearly taken a liking to this Wiki A LOT recently. I've been spending virtually every day on it making at least ONE edit on a page and of course enjoying every second of it. So it makes sense for me to decide that I want to take an extra step forward into the wiki and ask you what it takes to become an admin.
- Heya. Once again I've had a busy (long) weekend, so sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I haven't just been ignoring you :)
- Essentially yes, it comes down to whether there are any vacant slots and whether the existing admins decide you deserve the responsibilities and would be a beneficial part of the team. Personally, I'm happy to hear you'd like to be more involved!
- I'll raise it with The Cruentus. Technically our admin slots are currently full, but Toa Quarax has been AWOL for months and no one's heard anything from him, so in my mind there's a good call for replacing him with someone who's actually active. As I said, I'll speak to Cruentus, he may know more about the specifics of the process than me, and obviously he'll have to have his say. Perhaps you could drop him a message too?-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 08:31, April 11, 2016 (UTC)
- Righto. If the the slots are full then I understand. I don't want to be taking anyones place. But if there is a free space just make sure i'm up there for potential spots :). Heatlineheard (talk) (Contribs) 16:38, April 11, 2016 (UTC)
Edit Question Edit
In Mortal Kombat X, there is an Alien character you can dowload. Could I put that on the wiki since it's technically a Xeno?
- We already have a page on the Mortal Kombat X Alien here :) -- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 14:21, April 11, 2016 (UTC)
Re: Alien GenderEdit
No need to apologize -- I'd more or less forgotten about the issue, but I knew calling them asexual didn't seem correct. Anyway, I'm glad that's done and over with. Looks like we've got a lot of "fixing" to do.Werebereus - ಠ_ಠ 14:58, April 12, 2016 (UTC)
- AVP: Prey outright states she is female when comparing how both Machiko and she are trapped on the predator ship.Werebereus - ಠ_ಠ 15:53, April 12, 2016 (UTC)
- Like I said, it outright states she was. Page 93 -- "They were both female. Both out of their element. Hindered Warrior, maybe. Beaten down by the hunters, surely..."Werebereus - ಠ_ಠ 14:52, April 13, 2016 (UTC)
- AVP: Prey outright states she is female when comparing how both Machiko and she are trapped on the predator ship.Werebereus - ಠ_ಠ 15:53, April 12, 2016 (UTC)
Yes, I can. How should I proceed to show you? The promo image at the bottom of the page is mine (not Fox's), that's a start. I've spent 2 years pushing this date. I have images and posting from 2015.
Leigh, I should also say I'm new (obviously) to Xenopedia and dove in head first without checking with admins about approval process. This is a date I have been passionate about for a long time and seeing the media call it a corporate invention makes me want to set the record straight. Thank you in advance.--Preceding unsigned comment added by Alaroons (talk) - Please sign your messages with ~~~~
- First off, if you could please sign your comments on other people's talk pages, that would be a big help! It makes it easier to keep track of who's said what. There's a button that will do it for you at the top of the editing window, or you can simply type ~ four times at the end of your message and it will automatically convert it into a signature and timestamp upon publishing the edit. Thanks!
- As for the Aliens Day project — I saw the image you uploaded, but in fairness, anyone could have made that promo image, and at any time. To be clear, I'm not accusing you of lying, I'm simply saying I like to be careful about posting up things of this nature. Things that can't necessarily be checked by other people. It's my job to ensure this site stays factually accurate. If you have some photos of these events actually taking place, I'd consider that fair proof. You don't even need to add them to the Wiki, just post a link to where I can find them and I'll take a look.
- Also, this Wiki is intended for official things related to the AVP franchise only. That certainly doesn't mean an unofficial fan event doesn't deserve a mention on the Alien Day page, but it would likely go in the trivia section rather than as a part of the main article, because — popular or not — it's not officially endorsed or licensed by Fox (unless you can correct me on that). As I said, I'm happy to have it mentioned (pending proof), but it needs to be clear it's unofficial and fan-created.
- I hope that all sounds reasonable. I look forward to hearing back from you.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 08:27, April 15, 2016 (UTC)
A.I enemies Edit
- So it does. Well, personally I think it would be better if that section was modified into a description of the overall gameplay, perhaps with the types of enemies encountered mentioned as a part of that. Again, it's about where to draw the line between being a Wiki about the AVP franchise and a Wiki about gaming. Personally, I'd rather see an overview of the gameplay than a literal list of who I'll fight, especially as the latter would be infeasibly long on some games, but that's just my opinion.
- Thoughts?-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 08:31, April 15, 2016 (UTC)
Leigh, I'm just checking to see if you saw my messages. Thanks.
Yautja Honor code cloak killing? Edit
This has been kinda bugging me for a while....On the yautja honor code page, it says that it is dishonorable to kill whilst cloaked, yet I swear every Predator in every movie it's in has killed someone cloaked...So clearly somethings wrong, otherwise every Predator i've seen killed in camo mode is a Bad Blood. Permission to remove? Heatlineheard (talk) (Contribs) 20:21, April 16, 2016 (UTC)
- That whole page is an issue with me because none of it's sourced. Some of the points are obvious from the films but others aren't. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the Predator EU to really make an assessment of it yet. As for that point in particular, I've got no argument, for much the reasons you've said.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 10:14, April 18, 2016 (UTC)
Heyst profile pic? Edit
Just realized something...Are you sure Heyst's profile pic is actually of Heyst? Just watched the cutscene you got the pic in and it never actually confirms if it's Heyst or Meeks. I mean, i'm not too sure who's who because after looking both of the male models in the compression suits. They look virtually identical. And because Meeks has facial hair in the comics I don't know if the guy who goes with you is Lewis instead of Meeks or not. Heatlineheard (talk) (Contribs) 16:11, April 21, 2016 (UTC)
- It was a while ago I did it so I couldn't be 100% certain without firing the game up again, but I probably did it based on the colour of their suits. Each member of the team has a colour-coded suit, just like the ground team in Alien, so I probably worked out who was who when they're bantering aboard the Anesidora at the start of the level and then made a note of which colour suit was operating the winch before you go down. Judging by dialogue, Lewis never leaves the ship so it can't be him.
- As for the comic, it wouldn't be the first time tie-in material got stuff like that wrong. Simpson is described as having a moustache in the novel Alien: River of Pain, whereas he clearly doesn't in the extended version of Aliens.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 08:12, April 22, 2016 (UTC)
Nostromo log cropping Edit
Added a few pictures on the List of audio logs in Alien Iso page and I got a good one of the Nostromo log. It just needs a bit of cropping since it has a bit of crap around it. Could you be so kind? Heatlineheard (talk) (Contribs) 16:13, April 22, 2016 (UTC)
- No problem, I'll get to it. I was just on my way to your talk page to thank you for your work on the logs page actually, especially adding the DLC logs over the weekend. I never got most of the add-ons (just the two Nostromo levels) so it's the first time I'm seeing them.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 08:09, April 25, 2016 (UTC)
- Yeah no worries. I actually only bought the DLC (Corporate Lockdown, Trauma etc) a couple of days ago to see if I could fish out any extra info. Not much but there is some. I'll be moving onto Crew Expendable soon, there's definetly a Brett audio log around there somewhere. Heatlineheard (talk) (Contribs) 09:06, April 25, 2016 (UTC)
- I remember the logs in the two Nostromo missions being kind cool. Was kinda disappointed the game didn't seem to save them into a menu anywhere so you could review them, like the logs in the main game.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 09:12, April 25, 2016 (UTC)
Tarkata Xeno cropping Edit
Found a picture of the portrait for 'Alien' in MK. But the loading screen is present, kinda annoying. Pic is on the MKX and Tarkatan Xeno page. Heatlineheard (talk) (Contribs) 21:20, April 26, 2016 (UTC)
- Sorted. I cropped it out and gave it the correct aspect ratio. I went landscape because its pose suited that better than the usual portrait.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 08:57, April 27, 2016 (UTC)