The Rage War is a novel trilogy written by Tim Lebbon and published by Titan Books. It consists of the novels Predator: Incursion, Alien: Invasion and Alien vs. Predator: Armageddon, which collectively form one continuous storyline.
As well as the standard print editions, each of the novels has been released as an audiobook, read by John Chancer.
The trilogy was first teased by James A. Moore (the author of the Alien: Sea of Sorrows) on September 2, 2014 on The Aliens Legacy forums. The trilogy was later officially announced in an advertisement placed at the end of the next Alien novel, Alien: River of Pain.
The Rage War takes place long after the events of the novel Alien: Sea of Sorrows, making it the latest in terms of series chronology for both the Alien and Predator franchises. The trilogy centers around an interstellar conflict waged against both the Human Sphere and the Yauta by the Rage, a rogue human faction dedicated to the annihilation of baseline human society using an army of Xenomorphs.
The Rage War Novels
- Predator: Incursion by Tim Lebbon
- Alien: Invasion by Tim Lebbon
- Alien vs. Predator: Armageddon by Tim Lebbon
- The Rage War trilogy is a distant follow-up to James A. Moore's Alien: Sea of Sorrows, which concludes with Weyland-Yutani recovering samples of the Xenomorph species from the planet New Galveston. These samples then form a background plot point in the Rage War, being the basis of research that the Rage then use to further their own efforts to weaponize the creatures.
- The format of the Rage War trilogy — one book from each of the Alien, Predator and Alien vs. Predator franchises that together form one continuous storyline — was likely inspired by the Fire and Stone comic book crossover event from the previous year, which similarly consisted of separate series from the Aliens, Predator, Aliens vs. Predator and Prometheus lines that together formed one cohesive story.
- Despite the first two books being branded Predator and Alien, respectively, all three in fact feature both species, and in essence all three are "Alien vs. Predator" stories.
- The Rage War was the third time the trilogy format was employed for novels in the Alien/Predator/Alien vs. Predator franchise, after the original Aliens novel trilogy and the 2014 Alien novel trilogy. It was the first such trilogy to receive an official collective title. It was also the first such trilogy to be entirely written by a single author.
- Rage War author Tim Lebbon would later write two prequel short stories featuring the character of Major Akoko "Snow Dog" Halley; the first of these, Spite, appeared in the anthology Aliens: Bug Hunt, while the second, Devil Dogs, appeared in the anthology Predator: If It Bleeds. The events Halley experiences in these short stories are actually mentioned in passing in Armageddon and Incursion, respectively.
- Many ships and minor characters in the books are named after other Alien/Predator/Alien vs. Predator authors. Examples include the VoidLarks' ship, the Ochse (named for Weston Ochse), the HellSparks' ship, the Navarro (named for Yvonne Navarro), and Marines named Moore (after James A. Moore) and Golden (after Christopher Golden). The last two authors previously worked with Lebbon on the 2014 Alien novel trilogy.