The Matriarch was originally captured by the Yautja and imprisoned on BG-386, where she was used to lay Eggs so that the Predators may hunt the resultant Xenomorph offspring. Thousands of years later, she was discovered and captured for study by the Weyland-Yutani Corporation, but later escaped thanks to the actions of Specimen 6. She subsequently set up a Hive at the nearby Freya's Prospect colony, where she was killed by Rookie.
The Matriarch was captured by the Yautja many thousands of years before Weyland-Yutani arrived on BG-386 and entombed on the planet. Over the years, her Eggs were used by the Yautja to breed Xenomorphs for hunts, which would sometimes take place in a large, purpose-built combat arena constructed nearby. Even after the surrounding Yautja city fell into decay, the Matriarch remained, imprisoned within the ruins.
The Matriarch was eventually discovered by Weyland-Yutani, who moved her to a research facility and used her Eggs to breed Xenomorph Warriors for study. The Matriarch was held in a large chamber at the center of the laboratory complex, directly above the lifts accessing the Pyramid beneath, and was notably separated from her Eggs by a huge security door that sealed around her Egg sac. Aside from her Eggs, her Royal Jelly was also collected and researched.
Escape and destruction
- "The Queen is free! We're all fucked!"
"Shoot the bitch! Shoot her!"
- ―Security guards, following The Matriarch's escape (from Aliens vs. Predator)
Some time after her imprisonment, the Matriarch was freed when one of her brood, known as Specimen 6, escaped, released several other live Xenomorph subjects and sabotaged various systems in the lab complex. Following their escape, the Matriarch and her Warriors quickly set up a Hive in the refinery at the nearby mining colony of Freya's Prospect, using the colony's inhabitants as hosts for more Xenomorphs.
The United States Colonial Marine Corps was dispatched to BG-386 in response to the infestation, although the Matriarch managed to survive numerous assaults, including a major effort led by Major Van Zandt. However, she was eventually confronted in her chamber by Rookie, who, with the aid of Corporal Tequila, successfully used the refinery's systems against her, detonating combustible containers and eventually causing a large explosion that incinerated the Queen. The Matriarch's death triggered a debilitating neural shock in her Xenomorph brood, causing many of them to temporarily collapse, paralyzed with pain.
The Matriarch was far grayer in color than other Queens, possibly due to her extreme age — she is said to be tens of thousands of years old by Dr. Groves. She also has what appear to be battle scars on her crest and face. Her hide is exceptionally tough, to the point of being bulletproof, and she can withstand all forms of ballistic weaponry. If Rookie attempts to directly shoot the Matriarch then Corproal Tequila will state (over the radio) that "her skin is too tough" for such an assault.
- The Matriarch is one of the main antagonists in the 2010 video game Aliens vs. Predator (the others being Karl Bishop Weyland and the Abomination).
- It is not exactly clear where on BG-386 the Matriarch was entombed by the Predators. She cannot have been kept inside the Pyramid beneath the research labs, as that is not opened until after several Xenomorphs, including Specimen 6, have already been bred from her Eggs. A logical location where she may have been held is the large subterranean temple that Dark enters during the Predator campaign (as dialogue confirms Weyland-Yutani have accessed it and have been focusing their research there). However, there does not seem to be any area within this temple where a Queen could safely be contained. Concept art for the game shows that the chamber where the Predators had imprisoned the Matriarch was originally going to be seen in the game, but it was evidently cut from the final release.
- The Matriarch constitutes one of the seven "boss" characters in the game (designated by an on-screen bar showing their health during the player's battle with them). The others are Wolf, an unnamed Predator, two Praetorians, Karl Bishop Weyland and the Abomination.
- Some fans have suggested that the Matriarch may in fact be a Xenomorph Empress owing to her age and size, although the game does not clarify this.
There is a major paradox in the game surrounding events that take place inside the Hive while Rookie and Dark are there, specifically with regards to the death of the Matriarch. At the very start of the level "Refinery" in the Predator campaign, Dark sees the fully-grown Abomination, meaning the Matriarch must already be dead at this point (as, according to the Alien campaign, she is killed minutes after Six impregnates Wolf in the ruins, and certainly before the Abomination could be born and grow to maturity). However, later in the same level, Dark overhears a Marine saying that Delta and Echo teams (presumably Van Zandt and his men) are making an assault on the Queen, which does not make sense if she is already dead.
Later still, near the end of the level, Dark enters the Hive and finds the Matriarch's body. It takes around ten minutes to reach this point following the earlier comments by the Marines. However, Rookie cannot possibly have engaged the Matriarch until several hours at least after Van Zandt's assault has failed, because the Major has been cocooned and impregnated with a Chestburster by the time Rookie reaches him, and this is before Rookie fights the Queen. In the Marine campaign, Tequila confirms that Van Zandt's squad were the last people to enter the Hive prior to Rookie, so the Delta and Echo teams Dark hears mentioned could not refer to anyone else.
The issue is compounded when considering Rookie's actions before he goes into the Hive. Prior to entering the refinery, he repositions a nearby satellite dish so that it is pointing roughly towards the refinery itself. When Dark comes across the same dish in his campaign, it is still in its original position, meaning Rookie must still be inside the colony or the mines at this point, making it impossible for him to reach the Matriarch in time to kill her before Dark reaches her chamber, especially considering all the things Rookie has to do in between.
- Aliens vs. Predator (video game)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Aliens vs. Predator (2010), Rebellion, SEGA [Microsoft Windows].
- ↑ Concept art for the game repeatedly refers to the ancient Queen as the "Hag Queen"