For past messages, see Archived talk: 1
Main Page update Edit
Hi everybody. Archived past messages 2008-2010. Also made Aliens vs. Predator Omnibus: Volume 1 the featured article, because it includes the very first meeting of Alien and Predator in any media, required reading for AVP fans. Please remember to discuss only ideas/ issues with the Main Page on this Talk page. Questions, ideas, etc. about any other topics can be posted in a blog or on the articles' appropriate Talk pages. Thanks and have a Happy New Year! :D----CadmiumX99 20:00, December 28, 2010 (UTC)
Admin Account Hacked Edit
I haven't been on Xenopedia for a long time. I founded this Wiki, and it's great to see how it's grown. I thought I should warn you that this account has been hacked (hence the sudden activity) and that since the current user has been granted administrator status you may want to check their credentials.
- CJ Foote (Colonial-marine32)
I know that a lot of people won't believe me, and I don't want to pick a fight, so I won't check any replies to this message. It's up to you guys. By the way, check out Wookiepedia's main page the same week that Xenopedia was created and compare the layouts (I ripped off the design). I hope that gives me at least a little credibility.
MediaWiki:Signature updated Edit
I know theres not much information on them yet, but I notice the main page of this wikia has a picture link for Xeno's, Preds and Humans what about a picture link for the Engineers? Or are they not considered a major race? Gormagon (talk) (Contribs) 19:11, November 8, 2012 (UTC)
While Engineers are an important species, they have not been in many major events like predators, alien or humans. However, with a prometheus sequel on its way there may be more info about them soon. I believe there should perhaps be an additional link. I will talk to the other admins about it. The Cruentus (talk) (Contribs) 19:53, November 8, 2012 (UTC)
That Aliens: Colonial Marines article has been featured on the main page for a long time now. I was thinking it might be a nice idea to start cycling through some new pages, maybe one every month or so?--Leigh Burne (talk) (Contribs) 08:00, August 8, 2013 (UTC)
I agree with Leigh Burne the ACM article has been featured for too long. Also we should probably get new featured videos and images and maybe add a new poll since the Prometheus one has been on the page for more then a year (maybe a poll about Stasis Interrupted?.) --Toa Quarax (talk) (Contribs) 17:10, August 8, 2013 (UTC)
- Yeah, a new poll's a good idea! And some new videos. Basically, just mix it up a bit, because currently the main page is kinda static. I'm going to change the featured article to Al Apone now (no real reason, was just the first thing that came into my head).--Leigh Burne (talk) (Contribs) 08:09, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
- I agree, I happen to be planning to update this wiki and add few new features while updating old ones. I don't know when but it will happen soon. Feel free to update the main page though, make sure the featured article is the best article on here. Add new stuff like stasis interrupted and anything recent in the past few months.I agree with poll idea about SI as well, I like to see if the people find this DLC redeeming or not. The Cruentus (talk) (Contribs) 12:43, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
- The problem with making the featured article "the best article on here" is that what constitutes the "best" article is kinda subjective... Plus, if we only feature the "best" article on the main page, it'll just be the same article the entire time. I figured we could cycle through a few different ones, maybe changing it every few weeks. Obviously I agree that they'd have to be quality articles, and preferably related to significant aspects of the AVP universe, but I see no reason why we can't change it every now and then. It might even give us a good opportunity to draw more attention to some of the less well-known aspects of the franchise, so long as the article is well written and referenced.--Leigh Burne (talk) (Contribs) 13:20, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
- That is what I meant Leigh, we will show the most notable articles but change them every now and again, I didn't mean to imply that we would feature only one article indefinitely. Maybe we can also have an "article of a month" feature, showing the current best page. The Cruentus (talk) (Contribs) 15:57, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
Can I go ahead and make a new poll for Stasis Interrupted? I was thinking it would be something like this:
- Yes I think Stasis Interrupted is an improvement over Aliens: Colonial Marines.
- No I think Aliens: Colonial Marines was better than Stasis Interrupted.
- I think Aliens: Colonial Marines and Stasis Interrupted are equal in quality. Toa Quarax (talk) (Contribs) 19:13, August 16, 2013 (UTC)
What were those robots that went into the Narcisis called and don't they need their own webpage?
Aliens Robots Edit
What were those robots that entered the Narcisis and scanned the area in the movie Aliens and don't they need their own article?--Preceding unsigned comment added by Illuminati Agent 001 (talk) - Please sign your messages with ~~~~
- Please sign your comments on talk pages.
- I'm not sure we know enough about them to warrant giving them their own page. We don't even have a real name for them.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 15:09, May 16, 2016 (UTC)
Hello, I am a new member to this wiki. I edited an article on this page, just to contribute a little bit of info, and it was deleted. This also happened with another article. I would just like to know, why is this? Am I not allowed to edit?--Preceding unsigned comment added by Iamtheravager (talk) - Please sign your messages with ~~~~
- Please sing your comments on talk pages, so we can easily tell who has said what :)
- You are of course welcome to edit here. The only reversion I can speak for personally is your edit to the Spitter page, which I undid myself. The reason for that was twofold — first, we try to keep this wiki in-universe as much as possible when talking about fictional things from the franchise. In other words, the Spitter article should read as though it is a report written by someone who exists within the universe and has actually encountered one; it shouldn't mention that the Spitter exists in a video game where it can be customised by the player. Secondly, the fact you can modify the Spitter's appearance in the game is considered non-canon. In other words, Spitters don't actually have all those different head shapes, it's simply a game mechanic to allow players to customise their character. As such, it shouldn't be mentioned as a real trait of the Spitter in the article.
- Sorry! Still getting used to things around here, and I see why now. Iamtheravager (talk) (Contribs) 13:49, May 20, 2016 (UTC)
Question (yet again)Edit
So, I noticed that people are able to put direct links to articles, rather than just having it as a source. I'm not quite sure how this works. How do I do it? Iamtheravager (talk) (Contribs) 13:53, May 20, 2016 (UTC)iamtheravager
- To put a direct link to an article, type two of these: [ followed by the name of the article, then two of these: ] to close the link. For more info on links, you might want to look here.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 18:27, May 20, 2016 (UTC)
So many questions...Edit
So the Drone and Lurker castes of Xenomorph are obviously very similar. But I have noticed that Lurkers are usually portrayed as having human skulls underneath their smooth domes, but, the Alien in the first movie apparently has a skull underneath, as does the Drone in Alien: Isolation. I have noticed that the main difference seems to be the hips of the two. Lurkers have "pointed" hips, while Drones seem to lack this. Also, I have seen pictures of Lurker action figures and it looks like they have ridges underneath the smooth dome. So, what is the actual difference between the two, aside from just behavior? Iamtheravager (talk) (Contribs) 14:17, May 23, 2016 (UTC)iamtheravager
Ridley Scott's character bios Edit
Is there a reason Ridley Scott's bios for the characters in Alien aren't included as sources for their biographies? Are they not considered canon? It would seem odd if they were not. Wratched (talk) (Contribs) 15:06, May 11, 2017 (UTC)
- A lot of the details from those are completely contradicted by what is seen on screen at the inquest in Aliens (even some of the names don't match up with the initials Ridley gave the characters). As the details from Cameron's film are actually seen on screen rather than just on a piece of paper behind the scenes, we have elected to give them precedent.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 15:49, May 11, 2017 (UTC)
What is the canon policy? Ever since Prometheus, it has retconned the AVP movies by established a new history for Weyland Corp and the Alien creatures. So I would like to know what we should do about canon. T-888 (talk) (Contribs) 21:38, May 22, 2017 (UTC)
- Good question, Alien: Covenant potentially makes it even worse if what folks are saying about it are true, right now its ambiguous. We do have a page for canon in our policy which you can check out, It has movies being the highest in the tier and then novels and so on. However, Covenant and Prometheus seemingly cancels the AVP movies out so we may have to restructure it depending on what the canon status is on the new EU, as last I heard, Fox at least still considered them canon, though Ridley doesn't -- The Cruentus(Talk) 21:45, May 22, 2017 (UTC)
- And from what I have seen Fox has given Scott free reign to determine what is canon. In an interview with Damen Lindelof about writin Prometheus. He said, "When we began wirting the film and coming up with a timeline, I asked Ridley, 'How about those AVP films, where do they go in the scheme of things?' He then gave me a sour look and said with a serious tone, 'They don't matter.'" So it looks like this is a new timeline we are dealing with. I say for the sake of all our sanities, let's have "Alien Timeline, Predator Timeline and AVP Timeline." The AVP timeline can include any non canon stuff along with the AVP movies. T-888 (talk) (Contribs) 22:32, May 22, 2017 (UTC)
- The whole canon thing is becoming increasingly frustrating. It doesn't help that, while Fox may have a standpoint on what is considered canon and what isn't, they've never actually gone on record to state it. I can understand why that's the case, but it makes it a nightmare for us trying to work out what fits and what doesn't.-- LEIGH BURNE(Talk) 15:32, May 24, 2017 (UTC)
- When they released the Prometheus Fire and Stone comics, they had the intent to relaunch the Alien, Predator and AVP comics and start a new contunuty in the universe with what Ridley did with Prometheus. Fox wants a shared universe between Alien and Predator but as long as Ridkey is doing the Alien movies it won't cross over soon. T-888 (talk) (Contribs) 21:28, May 24, 2017 (UTC)