- "Hey, dammit! Hah-Hah-Hah!"
- ―Shorty mocking Machiko Noguchi after stealing her kill.
Shorty was the name given by Machiko Noguchi to a young Yautja in the Hunter clan that she had been adopted into after the massacre at the Prosperity Wells settlement on Ryushi. He was named exactly for his shorter-than-average height.
Shorty was an un-Blooded young Yautja that stood a considerably shorter height than most. He was described as being "a head taller" than Machiko Noguchi, a human whom he held a grudge against. Because of his short statue, other Yautja pick on and push him around and he takes his frustrations out on Machiko, despite her being a higher rank.
Led by Top-Knot, the clan goes on a queen hunt, with the intention of capturing a queen to seed other planets with for future Blooding rituals. They infiltrate a Hive and Shorty begins showboating in front of Noguchi and stealing her kill. However, his lack of attention almost costs him his life, as a Warrior sneaks up on him. It is about to kill him, but Machiko kills it first, not only robbing the hunter of an honorable death, but humiliating him in front of his fellow hunters. From that day forth, he seeks to tear Machiko down.
After offending a high ranked predator, Machiko is placed up against Shorty in a one-on-one match to see if she is truly worth her rank as a blooded warrior. Her agility, speed, and strategy to use the Yautja's weight against him works at the beginning of the fight, but things take a turn for the worst when other spectating predators cheat. He manages to get a hold of her, twists her ankle and knocks her dizzy by slamming his much harder skull into her own, then throwing her out of the ring, winning the fight. For this loss to a lower ranked novice, Machiko is discharged from the clan and the Hunt for good.
Later, after re-integrating herself with humanity, Shorty and Machiko meet again. This time, however, it is a fight to the death, a rematch of sorts concerning honor. This time, he cannot get the advantage and when Machiko tells him that he loves human women, specifically her, and wants to father her children, he cannot tolerate such a slight.
His rage costs him the fight and Machiko removes his left hand with her wristblades. She then plunges them into his chest, ending him.
Personality and Traits
- "What's the matter, Shorty? Not so tough without somebody to back you up? You're not a hunter. You're just a bully. I'm more of a hunter than you."
- ―Machiko Noguchi, as she defeats Shorty ( from Aliens vs. Predator: War)
Shorty was ill-tempered and impish, the former due to being bullied and pushed around by his larger, same-aged peers. He is also described as "young and stupid". In an attempt to feel some superiority, he singles out and torments Machiko, the only one smaller than he is. His bigotry towards her is the most obvious and the worst of the class and he wasn't above using underhanded methods to get over on her. Shorty was very easy to anger, impulsive like most young hunters, and this eventually spells his downfall.
- Shorty is stated to be a head taller than Machiko, a Japanese human woman said to be of "typical" height. Given that Japanese females average around 5'2" in height and the fact that a head is roughly 9 inches, this would make Shorty around 5'11", more than a full foot shorter than the average Yautja. This difference in size could simply be a case of natural variance, or perhaps even a form of dwarfism, as Shorty is noted as being "distinctly undersized" in comparison to other Yautja.
- Other abnormally short Predators include Mahnde and Lar'nix'va, the latter of whom was also named "Shorty" and killed by Machiko.