The Omnibus series are an ongoing series of comic book trade paperback reprints published by Dark Horse Books from 2007 onwards. The Omnibus releases are a widespread attempt by Dark Horse Comics at reissuing all of the pre-existing comics from their major lines in a uniform format, making them readily accessible to readers once more. The series includes several releases focussing on the Aliens, Predator and Aliens vs. Predator lines, released between 2007 and 2008 and edited by Chris Warner.
The first Aliens/Predator/Aliens vs. Predator Omnibus to be released was Aliens vs. Predator Omnibus: Volume 1, published in June 2007. Subsequent Omnibus editions from the franchises followed at one or two month intervals.
While comprehensive, the Aliens, Predator and Aliens vs. Predator Omnibus releases were not utterly exhaustive and a number of comics, chiefly from the Aliens line, were not included. Among the titles omitted were the small number of comics to which Dark Horse does not own the rights, most notably Alien: The Illustrated Story, as well as the various non-canon crossover comics that introduced the Xenomorphs and Yautja to other comic book franchises; according to Dark Horse editor Chris Warner, an Omnibus containing these stories was not produced as the potential profit would not have matched the cost of compiling it, especially as any profit made would need to be split with the other publishing companies involved. The only crossover comics available in Omnibus form are Ghost #5 and X #18, both part of the Hunting the Heroes: The Predators Attack! event, which are collected in Omnibus titles for their respective series. Furthermore, unlike some of the other Omnibus lines from Dark Horse, the Aliens, Predator and Aliens vs. Predator Omnibus releases have not proven to be an ongoing project, meaning that all of the Aliens, Predator, Aliens vs. Predator and Prometheus comics published after 2008 remain uncollected in this format.
Pre-existing Dark Horse Comics titles that were left out of the Omnibus releases include Aliens: Countdown, Aliens: Tribes, Aliens: Renegade, Alien3: Terminal Addiction, Operation: Aliens, Alien vs. Predator: Thrill of the Hunt and the film adaptations Aliens: Newt's Tale, Alien3, Alien Resurrection and Predator 2. Also missing are the non-canon Aliens: Space Marines mini-comics, the incomplete series Aliens: Crusade, and the graphic novel Aliens: Matrix, which was never published.
- Aliens Omnibus: Volume 1 (July 2007)
- Aliens Omnibus: Volume 2 (Dec 2007)
- Aliens Omnibus: Volume 3 (Mar 2008)
- Aliens Omnibus: Volume 4 (July 2008)
- Aliens Omnibus: Volume 5 (Oct 2008)
- Aliens Omnibus: Volume 6 (Dec 2008)
- Predator Omnibus: Volume 1 (Aug 2007)
- Predator Omnibus: Volume 2 (Feb 2008)
- Predator Omnibus: Volume 3 (June 2008)
- Predator Omnibus: Volume 4 (Sept 2008)
Aliens vs. PredatorEdit
- X Omnibus: Volume 2 (Aug 2008) — contains X #18, part of Hunting the Heroes: The Predators Attack!
- Ghost Omnibus: Volume 1 (Oct 2008) — contains Ghost #5, part of Hunting the Heroes: The Predators Attack!
- ↑ http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=27167.msg582426#msg582426 AVPGalaxy - Comics Missed from Omnibus