The Weyland-Yutani NSG 23 Assault Rifle (NeuSturmgewehr 23, literally "new storm [as in, to assault a position] rifle 23"), also known simply as the Assault Rifle, is a three-round burst assault rifle used primarily by the United States Colonial Marine Corps and Weyland-Yutani PMCs.
- H34 Fragmentation Rounds: High-explosive rounds consisting of a 15mm miniature warhead and gas propellent; rounds explode on surface impact with an effective explosive radius of two meters.
- AF13 Shotgun: Underslung twelve gauge shotgun; rounds are comprised of high density buckshot, offering a valid close-range tactical option.
- ID23 Incineration Unit: The pressurized tank contains a fuel/magnesium liquid combination that is effective at ranges up to 8 meters.
- SR4 Burst Fire Modification: +2 Rate of Fire. Aftermarket weapon customization; updated firing mechanism converts the NSG 23 burst fire mode from three rounds to five rounds.
- BL11 Silencer: -1 Firepower, +1 Accuracy. Threaded steel barrel attachment; slows the escape of propellent gasses, resulting in muffled weapon fire.
- S91 Dot Reflex Sight: Non-magnifying reflector sight outfitted with a red LED dot; LED dot remains consistently positioned, allowing for faster target acquisition.
- 2x Telescopic Zoom Sight: Optical refracting telescope sight with wedge reticule; offers increased tactical options by dramatically extending effective combat range.
- RE93 Absorbing Stock: +1 Accuracy. Spring-loaded rifle stock; adjustable tension springs absorb a significant portion of a weapon kick, resulting in more controllable recoil.
- The name NeuSturmgewehr would suggest that the NSG 23 is of German origin, perhaps designed by a German subsidiary of Weyland-Yutani. The term Sturmgewehr ("storm rifle", or, in other words, assault rifle) was developed by Germany during WWII and was applied to what is widely regarded as the very first assault rifle, the StG 44.
- Given the above, the use of "Assault Rifle" in the weapon's name is superfluous, as the translation of its full name would be "New Assault Rifle 23 Assault Rifle".
- The "23" in "NSG 23" could be a reference to the date the weapon was created (which would likely be 2123, a year after the events of Alien).
- Despite "NSG" and "23" being separated everywhere else, in the DLC level Firing Range, the NSG 23 inside the locker is known as the "NSG23 Assault Rifle".
- In the Brady Games Aliens: Colonial Marines Guide, "Assault Rifle" is misspelled "Assult Rifle" in the W-Y Grunt section on page 40.