MU/TH/UR 6000, commonly referred to simply as "Mother", was the artificial intelligence computer mainframe aboard the USCSS Nostromo. Mother operated many of the ship's background systems, and auto-piloted the vessel while the crew were in hypersleep. It was also programmed to wake the crew during the voyage should certain situations arise.
Mother was a 2.1 terabyte artificially intelligent mainframe that monitored all of the Nostromo's automated flight and environmental functions. The computer core was located in a secure room on the Nostromo's upper deck, only accessible to the ranking officer aboard, normally Captain Arthur Dallas. However, Mother could communicate with the entire crew through the ship's intercom system, without them having to enter her room directly.
It is possible Mother had its origins in the supercomputer constructed by Borgia Industries to run Neonopolis in the first half of the 21st century, which was christened MOTHER. The original MOTHER was a biological computer built around the body of Isabella Borgia, and was in overall control of every networked computer system in the city. It was destroyed by the Yautja known as Scarface, only to be rebuilt later by Weyland Industries using Isabella's granddaughter, Lucretia Borgia, as the biological base. Given this, it is possible the MU/TH/UR 6000 contained at least some biological components in its construction.
Aboard the Nostromo, Mother worked with the ship's science officer, Ash, to implement Special Order 937 and ensure the survival of the Xenomorph specimen collected from LV-426. Mother also monitored the activities of the crew of the Nostromo for Weyland-Yutani. While it never explicitly took action to harm the crew, it was complicit in the preservation of the Alien.
Mother was ultimately destroyed when the Nostromo exploded.
- The video game Aliens versus Predator 2 features a "Mother mainframe" that is used by the Marines.
- In Alien Resurrection, the USM Auriga's central computer is named Father in reference to Mother.
- In Aliens: A Comic Book Adventure, the USS Sheridan's AI is named MOM.
- In Aliens: Defiance, Zula Hendricks uses an interface room identical to that aboard the Nostromo to access the Europa's computer mainframe.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Dan O'Bannon, Ronald Shusett (writers), Ridley Scott (director). Alien (1979), 20th Century Fox [DVD].
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Lee Brimmicombe-Wood. Aliens: Colonial Marines Technical Manual, p. 135 (1995), Boxtree Ltd..
- ↑ In the script and film the computer is referred to by the crew members as "Mother". An October 1979 issue of Fantastic Films magazine, as well as the back of the 1980 Fox videodisk of the film, explain that "Mother" is an abbreviation for "MU/TH/UR 6000", the model of the computer. The chapter list for Alien in the 2003 Alien Quadrilogy DVD set also lists it as "MU/TH/UR".
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Predator: Concrete Jungle (2005), Eurocom, Sierra Entertainment, Vivendi Universal Games [PlayStation 2, Xbox].
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 http://www.remington-rand.com/alien/