Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The M40 High Explosive Dual Purpose (HEDP) Grenade is a type of high explosive fragmentation grenade manufactured by Armat Battlefield Systems. It was predominantly employed by the United States Colonial Marine Corps.
The M40 is primarily designed to be fired from the U1 Grenade Launcher, although it can also double as a hand grenade. The cartridge consists of two main sections — a rimmed, separating base and a metal casing topped with a red plastic identifying cap. When fired from a U1, the base propels the casing from the grenade launcher's barrel with a muzzle velocity of around 78 m/s. The grenade round has an effective range of 400 m, and an accurate range of around 180 m. The projectile itself contains notched steel wire wrapped around a Composition B15 explosive core, which spreads more than 300 metal fragments over a casualty radius of 5 m upon detonation.
Despite its main purpose as a launched projectile, the M40 can be employed as a hand-thrown grenade by flipping off the red plastic cap and depressing the button beneath. This will trigger a three second fuse, after which the round will detonate.
Behind the ScenesEdit
The 30mm grenade props seen in Aliens were constructed from 12 gauge aluminum snap caps (an inert cartridge simulator made to the same external dimensions as a live round, used for training purposes); the fact 12 gauge rounds are actually only 18.53 mm in diameter is simply ignored in the film. The snap caps were embellished with additional machining cuts made for cosmetic appearances, a push button on the top, and a colored plastic cap, which was red for the M40 high explosive rounds seen on film.
The Harry Harris Aliens Collection & Archive contains a grenade prop made from turned wood and painted silver. While it is not known if wooden grenades were used during filming, it's possible they were lightweight copies worn by stunt performers.
- In real life, the acronym HEDP is an alternate designation for high explosive anti-tank (HEAT) warheads, which use an explosive shaped charge to penetrate solid vehicle armour. In the case of the M40, the "dual purpose" moniker presumably refers to the fact the grenade can either be launched from a U1 Grenade Launcher or hand thrown.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Aliens Original screen-used Vasquez Grenade from "ALIENS" original prop weapon". Retrieved on Janurary 12, 2015.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Aliens: Colonial Marines (2013), Gearbox Software, SEGA [Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360].
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Lee Brimmicombe-Wood. Aliens: Colonial Marines Technical Manual, p. 15 (1995), Boxtree Ltd..
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 James Cameron, Gale Anne Hurd, Gordon Carroll, David Giler, Walter Hill, Stan Winston, Simon Atherton. Superior Firepower: Making Aliens (2003), 20th Century Fox [DVD].
- ↑ "The Harry Harris Aliens Collection & Archive: Miscellaneous / Props". Retrieved on January 11, 2015.
- ↑ "The Harry Harris Aliens Collection & Archive: Alien War". Retrieved on January 11, 2015.
- ↑ "Forgotten Relics 50: M40 Pulse Rifle grenade box from “Aliens” | the propstop's world of entertainment memorabilia". Retrieved on Janurary 12, 2015.