- "You can't see the eyes of the demon... until him come callin'."
- ―King Willie (from Predator 2)
King Willie (real name unknown) was a voodoo priest and leader of the Jamaican Voodoo Posse in Los Angeles in the late twentieth century. Despite his status as a drug lord, he seemed to hold a degree of respect for detective Mike Harrigan, even agreeing to meet with him privately to discuss the unidentified suspect, in fact a Predator, who was slaughtering both the Jamaicans and their rivals, the Colombian Scorpions.
King Willie was confronted and killed by the Predator shortly after meeting with Harrigan.
Rise to power
Meetup with Harrigan and downfall
In 1997, presumably sensing weakness in the Scorpions following the City Hunter's slaughter of many of their members, King Willie dispatched Gold Tooth to execute one of the Colombians' major players, Ramon Vega, in his apartment. Following the death of Gold Tooth and his men, King Willie later agreed to meet with Harrigan in a secluded back alley to discuss the violent deaths. While Harrigan was convinced the suspect was merely a hitman, King Willie believed otherwise; through his beliefs and superstitions, he came to believe that a "demon" was responsible, and that the unstoppable creature would likely be the death of them all.
After Harrigan left, the City Hunter himself arrived. King Willie drew the rapier hidden inside his staff and challenged the Yautja to a duel, but was soon decapitated by the Predator, his skull claimed as a trophy.
Following King Willie's death, it is unknown what became of the Jamaican Voodoo Posse.
Personality and Traits
- The character of Serviteur Houngan in the game Predator: Concrete Jungle is also referred to as "King Willie", likely as an homage to Predator 2. Both characters share similar roles, being the spiritual leaders of Jamaican criminal gangs.
- Since the Predator took his head as a trophy, it seems King Willie put up a significant fight before falling, as Predators only take the skulls of worthy enemies.
- King Willie is said to practice Voodoo, yet Voodoo is not commonly practiced in Jamaica and actually comes from Haiti. King Willie is more likely a Rastafarian, which is a common religion in Jamaica and would explain his dreadlocks and the fact he calls Harrigan "Babylon" (a Rastafarian term for the justice system, which they see as oppressive and corrupt).
- The sequence where King Willie is killed bears notable similarities to Billy's death in Predator, whereby viewers see the build-up to the fight and its aftermath, yet the battle itself occurs off-screen.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Simon Hawke. Predator 2, p. 78 (1990), Jove Books.
- ↑ King Willie's actor's (Calvin Lockhart) listed himself as being 6ft 2 ½ (189.2 cm) on his resume, so that is how tall King Willie would have been.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Jim Thomas, John Thomas (writers), Stephen Hopkins (director). Predator 2 (1990), 20th Century Fox [DVD].
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Facebook - Stan Winston School of Character Arts". Retrieved on 2015-02-13.