- "My name is Karl Bishop Weyland, and this is my facility. All you have to do is leave and I give you my word that you will not be pursued... at least not by any of my personnel."
- ―Karl Bishop Weyland (from Aliens vs. Predator)
Karl Bishop Weyland was an andoid and a senior director of the Weyland-Yutani Corporation. He often claimed to be a direct "descendant" of Charles Bishop Weyland. He is the main antagonist in the Marine campaign in the 2010 video game Aliens vs. Predator and one of the main antagonists in the game (the others being the Matriarch and the Abomination).
Weyland is in overall charge of the Weyland-Yutani research facility set up on BG-386. His own personal goals are focused on gaining access to the ancient Pyramid on the planet, which he hopes contains advanced Yautja technology that Weyland-Yutani can exploit. He also has a team studying the Xenomorphs discovered at the site, led by Dr. Groves. In opening the Yautja Pyramid, Weyland triggered the Xenomorph outbreak on the planet.
Karl Bishop Weyland is the direct descendent of Charles Bishop Weyland, who founded Weyland Industries at the start of the 21st Century. Karl himself often states that has been alive for hundreds of years, although it seems he means this in a more spiritual way — while his physical form cannot possibly be that old, advanced technology means he is endowed with the memories of previous Weylands, including those of Charles.
Karl Bishop Weyland is responsible for aggressive corporate policies, including purchase of controlling shares in the United States Colonial Marine Corps. Weyland was privy to many of the secrets of his predecessors and was aware of the existence to two alien species; the feral Xenomorphs and a race of technologically advanced Yautja. As such, this led him to learn the secrets relating to both species. This led to a campaign of colonization on the planet BG-386 where a Yautja temple had been discovered. Inside, was a Xenomorph Queen and Weyland established a research facility to harness the power of the creatures offspring. He later had a number of captive colonists forcibly implanted with Facehuggers that led to the formation of Chestbursters. One of the creatures, however, defied known practices by emerging from the mouth of its host and thus nearly escaped containment. When the scientist Dr. Groves attempted to terminate the beast, Karl Bishop Weyland stopped him as he felt that it would be one of his prized creations. The creature was later branded and known as Specimen 6.
Interference and destructionEdit
After refusing to aid Katya in removing the Alien gestating inside Tequila, one of Tequila's squad-mates tracks down Weyland to recover a datapad that has the capability of sending an evacuation signal to his private shuttle.
During the ensuing battle between the marine "Rookie" and Weyland, it is revealed that he is in fact, an android. This is confirmed when, after apparently succumbing to the marine's onslaught, Weyland attacks again, forcing the marine to shoot him in the head, exposing a portion of his central processor and causing him to fall on the temple's lava killing and destroying him.
- "This was a high cost operation. Let us hope my predecessor's faith in it was justified."
- ―Unknown Bishop, regarding Karl (from Aliens vs. Predator)
After the Rookie escapes from the self-destructing Pyramid and boards Weyland's dropship. Katya, Tequila and The Rookie are seen in stasis sleep while the pilots of the dropship transmit information from Weyland's data pad about the Xenomorph homeworld to an another synthetic copy of Karl Bishop Weyland.
Personality and TraitsEdit
Weyland is cold and emotionless, characteristics conveyed in his typically monotone voice. Despite this, he occasionally displayed emotions — whether "real" or simulated — including curiosity, especially with regards to the Xenomorphs and the Matriarch, and rage, mostly directed towards the Rookie. He also displayed an apparently genuine interest in uncovering the history of the Yautja species and unlocking their advanced technology.
Weyland was amoral in his research methods, using Weyland-Yutani personnel as live test subjects (indirectly, through Dr. Groves). It is also hinted that he may have actively wanted the Matriarch on BG-386 to escape confinement and establish a Hive so that he could study her intellect and instincts.
He has shown to have a personal datapad, that he uses to gather data, such as the coordinates to the Xenomorph homeworld, and is used to call his personal Cheyenne dropship. He is also shown to be trained in the use of firearms, as he carries a standard issue pistol, and he uses a shotgun in his fight against the Rookie.
- Karl Bishop Weyland, as an android, is evidently hardened against the effects of EMP as he remains operational upon opening the Yautja Pyramid on BG-386 while all other nearby electrical equipment is destroyed. It is not clear whether this protection is common for androids, but it would seem not — it would be superfluous in most commercial models, and if EMP hardening was common technology, the equipment at the labs on BG-386 would surely also be so protected.
- In one of his audio diaries, he makes a reference to Ellen Ripley.
- In another audio diary, he makes reference to Charles Bishop Weyland, stating, "A dying billionaire embarks on a voyage of discovery to a frozen wasteland. Experimental technology stores his memories. He knows his chances are slim, but it is not the cancer in his lungs that will bring him to his end. Charles Bishop Weyland's final moments are lost to me. Unlike everything else, they cannot be recovered, but they continue to define my existence".
- Aliens vs. Predator (video game)