John Vincent Hurt, CBE (born January 22, 1940) is an English actor. Among other honours, he has received two Academy Award nominations, a Golden Globe Award, and four BAFTA Awards, with the fourth being a Lifetime Achievement recognition. Hurt is known for his leading roles as John Merrick in The Elephant Man, Winston Smith in Nineteen Eighty-Four, Mr. Braddock in The Hit, Stephen Ward in Scandal, Quentin Crisp in The Naked Civil Servant and An Englishman in New York, and Caligula in I, Claudius. Recognisable for his distinctive rich voice, he has also enjoyed a successful voice acting career, starring in films such as Watership Down, the animated The Lord of the Rings and Dogville, as well as the BBC television series Merlin. He portrayed the War Doctor in the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special "The Day of the Doctor", following brief appearances in previous episodes.
- ↑ http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:John_hurt_dinard.jpg
- ↑ http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000457/awards
- ↑ "John Hurt – Biography". Talk Talk. Retrieved on January 26, 2010.
- ↑ Jones, Paul. "Doctor Who 50th anniversary: John Hurt to play "part of the Doctor"". Radio Times. Retrieved on May 18, 2013.
- ↑ Tobin, Christian. "John Hurt teases 'Doctor Who' 50th anniversary special role". Digital Spy. Retrieved on May 18, 2013.
- ↑ "The Other Kane | Strange Shapes" (November 24, 2012). Retrieved on March 1, 2014.
- ↑ Sources that refer to the final scene of Hurt's character in Alien being consistently named as one of the most memorable in cinematic history include:
- BBC News (April 26, 2007). "Alien named as top 18-rated scene". British Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved on May 31, 2010.
- Kermode, Mark. "All fright on the night", The Guardian, October 19, 2003. Retrieved on [[February 1, 2010]].
- "Scariest movie scenes ever". Virgin Media. Retrieved on January 18, 2010.
- Green, Graeme. "John Hurt talks Harry Potter, flamenco and chestbursters". Metro. Retrieved on January 18, 2010.
- "The 100 Scariest Movie Moments". Bravo. Archived from the original on October 30, 2007. Retrieved on May 29, 2010.
- "The making of Alien's chestburster scene", The Guardian, October 13, 2009. Retrieved on [[January 18, 2010]].