Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Uzi uses an open-bolt, blowback-operated design quite similar to the Jaroslav Holeček-designed Czech ZK 476 (prototype only) and the production Sa 23, Sa 24, Sa 25, and Sa 26 series of submachineguns, from which it was inspired. The open bolt design exposes the breech end of the barrel, and improves cooling during periods of continuous fire. However, it means that since the bolt is held to the rear when cocked, the receiver is more susceptible to contamination from sand and dirt. It uses a telescoping bolt design, in which the bolt wraps around the breech end of the barrel. This allows the barrel to be moved far back into the receiver and the magazine to be housed in the pistol grip, allowing for a heavier, slower-firing bolt in a shorter, better-balanced weapon.
The weapon is constructed primarily from stamped sheet metal, making it less expensive per unit to manufacture than an equivalent design machined from forgings. With relatively few moving parts, the Uzi is easy to strip for maintenance or repair. The magazine is housed within the pistol grip, allowing for intuitive and easy reloading in dark or difficult conditions, under the principle of "hand finds hand". The pistol grip is fitted with a grip safety, making it difficult to fire accidentally. However, the protruding vertical magazine makes the gun awkward to fire when prone. The Uzi features a bayonet lug.
In Predator 2, El Scorpio is seen using two customized two-tone Micro Uzis (a scaled down version of the Uzi, introduced in 1986) with nickel-plated parts during the opening shootout. A full-size Uzi is latter seen among the weapons glimpsed in El Scorpio's armory. Brian was also playing with a toy Uzi when he encountered the City Hunter in the cemetery.
In Predator: Bad Blood, John Pulnick initially uses a paintball version of an Uzi with an extended barrel and scope, but later uses a scoped, real Uzi. Another Uzi is seen in the ambulance Pulnick, Kelso, Phillip Smith, Robert Graves and Mandy West use to escape the hospital and some agents use Uzis, some with scopes.
On card 78, "The World Isn't Ready", of the Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem Premium Trading Cards, the Plasma Pistol is described as "a unique Uzi-style weapon".
- The distinctive nickel-plated Micro Uzis used by El Scorpio in Predator 2 appeared in several action movies of the 80s and 90s, including The Running Man and Total Recall, both of which starred Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 David Miller. The Illustrated Directory of 20th Century Guns, p. 391 (2001), Salamander Books.
- ↑ Popenker, Max R.. "UZI / Mini UZI / Micro UZI submachine gun (Israel)". World Guns: Modern Firearms & Ammunition. Retrieved on 6 January 2011.
- ↑ Mulcahy, Paul. "IMI Uzi". Retrieved on 25 November 2012.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Ian V. Hogg. Guns and How They Work, p. 157 (1979), Everest House.
- ↑ Jack Lewis, David E. Steele. The Gun Digest Book of Assault Weapons, p. 222 (2000), Krause Publications.