Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Gunnison was a small city in the state of Colorado in the United States of America.
In the early twenty-first century, Gunnison was the site of a Xenomorph outbreak, following the crash of a Yautja Scout Ship in the nearby woods. The city was ultimately destroyed when a nuclear weapon was dropped from a Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor in an attempt to contain the Alien threat.
The historic City of Gunnison is a Colorado Home Rule Municipality that is the county seat and the most populous city of Gunnison County, Colorado, United States. As of the U.S. Census 2000, the city had a total population of 5,409. The city was named in honor of John W. Gunnison, a United States Army officer who surveyed for the transcontinental railroad in 1853.
After the killing of Curley Bill, the Earps left Arizona and headed to Colorado. In a stop over in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Wyatt and Holliday had a falling out but remained on fairly good terms. The group split up after that with Holliday heading to Pueblo and then Denver. The Earps and Texas Jack set up camp on the outskirts of Gunnison, Colorado, where they remained quiet at first, rarely going into town for supplies. Eventually, Wyatt took over a faro game at a local saloon.
Slowly all of the Earp assets in Tombstone were sold to pay for taxes, and the stake the family had amassed eroded. Wyatt and Warren joined Virgil in San Francisco in late 1882. While there, Wyatt rekindled a romance with Josie Marcus, Behan's one-time fiancée. His common-law wife, Mattie waited for him in Colton but eventually realized Wyatt was not coming back (Wyatt had left Mattie the house when he left Tombstone). Earp left San Francisco with Josie in 1883 and she became his companion for the next forty-six years (no marriage certificate has been found). Earp and Marcus returned to Gunnison where they settled down, where that state’s governor refused to extradite Wyatt back to Arizona on the grounds that he could not get a fair trial, and Earp continued to run a faro bank.
Gunnison residents isolated themselves from the surrounding area during the Spanish Influenza epidemic for two months at the end of 1918. All highways were barricaded near the county lines. Train conductors warned all passengers that if they stepped outside of the train in Gunnison, they would be arrested and quarantined for five days. As a result of the isolation, no one died of influenza in Gunnison during the epidemic. This served as partial inspiration for the novel The Last Town on Earth.
- Gunnison County is the setting of Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem, although the film was actually shot in the towns of Port Coquitlam and Port Moody, British Columbia. Gunnison is also the setting of the 1960-1961 syndicated western television series Two Faces West.
- In 2009, Gunnison served as a launch site and mission control facility in Stephen Baxter's post-apocalyptic science fiction novel, Ark.
- The Greyhound bus is seen arriving in Gunnison at the beginning of the film, with the destination sign in the front window marked CRESTED BUTTE. Although Crested Butte is 28 miles north of Gunnison on CO-135, there is no Greyhound transportation of any kind to Crested Butte. Additionally, Greyhound offers no services on their fleet of buses to Gunnison itself, as these are contracted out to another bus company, Black Hills Stage Lines, Inc.
- Although some scenes of the film take place in the sewer system underneath Gunnison, no such system exists. The Gunnison sewer system is limited to piping, and does not include underground catwalks.
- There are no nuclear power plants in Colorado and no power plant of any kind in Gunnison.
- The National Guard is called from Colorado Springs and they arrive shortly. Colorado Springs is 3 hours away from Gunnison.
- Since Gunnison covers only 3 sq. mi., Colonel Stevens's map is showing a "pressure damage" radius of barely 1/4 mile. In reality a 200KT nuclear explosion would level all structures within at least one mile. The "heat damage" radius on Stevens's screen is even more understated.
- Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): SPOILER: On the screen showing the purported "damage assessment" of the tactical nuclear weapon, in the lower part of the screen the bomb is designated as a "MK 83". In actuality the Mark 83 is not a nuclear weapon, it is a conventional weapon with a modest amount of high explosive inside. It would not be capable of the damage estimated on the readout. *According to the "Goofs" section of the AVPR article on imdb and the B83 article on Wikipedia, the correct designation of the nuclear weapon is a B83. Though the B83 can produce a 200 kiloton explosion, the article states that it weighs 2400 lbs and is carried externally on the F-22. The F-22 is typically equipped with two 1000 lb JDAM equipped bombs in its internal weapons bay.
- Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem at IMDb
- City of Gunnison website
- Gunnison County website
- Gunnison County Tourism Office (official tourism website)
- Western State College of Colorado (official website)
- ↑ "Alien vs. Predator Sequel's R-rated Secrets Revealed". MTV.com. Retrieved on 2007-12-14.
- ↑ "Oh, the places she's been". The Block. Retrieved on 2007-12-14.