Doctor H.G. Groves was a Weyland-Yutani employee and Karl Bishop Weyland's top scientist on BG-386, and as such was in charge of the Xenomorphs bred for study there. He is arguably the main antagonist in the Alien campaign in the 2010 video game Aliens vs. Predator (although the player never directly fights him).
Groves was placed in charge of the Xenomorph breeding program on BG-386 by Karl Bishop Weyland. As such, he was present during the birth and "harvesting" of all of the Xenomorph specimens being studied at the research facility on the planet. During one such procedure, one of the specimens (later christened Specimen 6) escaped from its containment tube by re-entering its deceased host and emerging from the corpse's mouth; Groves immediately attempted to gas the creature, killing two of his own scientists in the process, but was stopped by Weyland before the Xenomorph could be permanently harmed.
Following the incident at its birth, Groves became enamoured, even obsessed, with Specimen 6. As it grew and developed, Groves trained Six to become the perfect killing machine, using civilian colonists and even members of his own staff as live prey in combat tests towards this end. Groves also had a special reverence for the Matriarch, with which he was fascinated; Groves' research regarding the Matriarch implied the creature was tens of thousands of years old.
Escape and fateEdit
- "All facility staff, this is Dr. Groves. We have experienced a containment breach. Try to stay calm and follow procedures. I assure you, everything will be alright."
- ―Groves, during the catastrophic containment failure (from Aliens vs. Predator)
During the catastrophic containment failure that ultimately doomed BG-386, Groves apparently managed to escape (in the process locking one of his co-workers in a room with Specimen 6 to buy himself some time). It is presumed that he left the planet. However, Groves was later reunited with Specimen 6 when the Xenomorph was recaptured by personnel under Weyland's command before the destruction of BG-386. Some time later, Six escaped once more. Groves was captured and cocooned in a new Hive created by Six, who subsequently moulted into a new Queen, an event witnessed by Groves. It is unknown whether or not Groves was impregnated with a Chestburster, although it seems likely that he was.
Personality and TraitsEdit
- "It is ridiculous, I know, but these Combat Androids... They unnerve me unlike any Xenomorph."
- ―Groves (from Aliens vs. Predator)
Groves is a sadistic and amoral scientist who showed no compassion or emotion for those who died as a result of the events on BG-386. He was willing to use civilian colonists and even other Weyland-Yutani employees as live test subjects in his Xenomorph research, and was happy to sacrifice even other members of his team, such as when he locked a hapless scientist inside Specimen 6's holding chamber when the Xenomorph outbreak first started.
Likely linked to his position as head Xenomorph researcher on BG-386, Groves had a reverence for the Xenomorph and he appeared to behold the species in a near-messianic light. This admiration did not diminish once the creatures escaped and began slaughtering the personnel on the planet; in fact, if anything, his fascination with the Xenomorphs only grew as they ravaged BG-386. Despite Groves' apparent lack of fear in the face of the Xenomorph species, he was notably wary of the Weyland-Yutani Combat Androids stationed on the planet, bemoaning the fact that many of them outranked his own staff, and once stating that he found them far more terrifying than any Xenomorph subject.
- Groves is voiced by William Hope, who portrayed Lieutenant Gorman in Aliens.
- Many players expressed regret at the fact Specimen 6 never gets to fight or otherwise defeat Groves in the game — the beginning of the Alien campaign sets him up as something of a villain for Six, but following the outbreak the doctor simply vanishes from the game, only returning very briefly in the (non-interactive) closing cutscene.
- Some fans have proposed that Six cocoons Dr. Groves, rather than killing him, as a result of her hatred towards him for his role in her initial captivity and testing.
- Aliens vs. Predator (video game)