- "What the hell are we supposed to use, man? Harsh language?"
- ―Pvt. Frost (from Aliens)
Private First Class Ricco Frost, nicknamed "Frosty", was a member of the United States Colonial Marine Corps, part of 2nd Battalion Bravo Team, part of 2nd Battalion Bravo Team. He was a member of the combat unit deployed to LV-426 aboard the USS Sulaco in 2179, to investigate the sudden loss of contact with the colony of Hadley's Hope. He subsequently perished as a result of the Xenomorph infestation at the colony.
Mission to LV-426Edit
Frost spent breakfast aboard the Sulaco reminiscing about past operations with his fellow Marines, particularly one deployment when the group engaged in relations with a group of Arcturians; unfortunately for Hicks, the one he ended up with was male. Before being briefed on the mission by Lieutenant Gorman, Frost and Corporal Dietrich took the time to practice their hand-to-hand combat skills. After the briefing, Frost readied and checked the team's Pulse Rifles.
Once on the ground, Frost and the rest of Second Squad cleared the upper floors of the central administration building. It was Frost who picked up Newt on the squad's motion tracker, handed to him while Hicks was investigating the live Facehugger specimens found in the med lab. When the colonists were traced, via their PDTs, to the nearby Atmosphere Processor, Frost was given the duty of driving the section's APC as Bishop was busy studying the Facehugger specimens in the medical center.
Once inside the Atmosphere Processor, the Marines stumbled into the Xenomorph Hive, Frost pointing out the oppressive heat present. Shortly after, the squad was informed by Gorman that they couldn't risk using their Pulse Rifles or Smartguns, and ordered all ammunition for the former confiscated. Frost's anger at having the section's primary source of firepower taken away was compounded when he was given the duty of carrying the caseless Pulse Rifle rounds.
When the Marines discovered the dead colonists and witnessed Mary succumb to the Chestburster within her, Sergeant Apone requisitioned Frost's flamethrower to assist Dietrich in torching the creature before it could escape. The dying Chestburster's screeches woke the Hive, and the Marines soon found themselves surrounded by advancing Warriors. Almost immediately, Dietrich was taken and dragged away; Frost raised his sidearm to try and kill the creature responsible, but before he could fire a single shot Dietrich accidentally ignited him with her Incinerator. Completely aflame, Frost's flailing caused him to tumble over a railing within the Hive, plummeting to his death several floors below. The bag containing the Pulse Rifle ammunition, also aflame and dropped in the chaos, subsequently exploded, the blast killing Private Crowe.
Personality and TraitsEdit
As with many of the other troops, Frost had a degree of disdain for his job, often complaining that he hated being a Marine. He also seemed to be something of a pessimist, condemning the mission to Hadley's Hope as a disaster before the Marines had even landed on the ground (something he apparently did on every combat drop). For better or worse, Frost was quick to question orders or information he considered suspect, such as when Gorman used the nondescript term "Xenomorph" to describe what the Marines may be facing at Hadley's Hope, or when the Lieutenant ordered the unit to disarm itself within the Hive.
However, despite these traits, Frost was a natural joker, always quick to make light of serious situations with a wisecrack. Judging by his nickname — Frosty — and his nonchalant attitude when he detected the movement that turned out to be Newt, he was also cool under fire.
Frost was outfitted with standard issue M3 Pattern Personal Armor and an M10 Pattern Ballistic Helmet for protection, and a TNR Shoulder Lamp attachment for illumination. His armor's chest plate featured a white heart emblazoned with the name Heath (short for Heather) being pierced by an arrow and his armor's left shoulder was customized with a sticker or piece of tape with "When in doubt, "NUKE EM"" written in red.
On LV-426, Frost was armed with an M240 Incinerator Unit, although this was requisitioned by Sergeant Apone inside the Hive, leaving Frost with only his Heckler & Koch VP70 for defense, which he kept in a fabric holster on his right hip. Frost was also well trained in the use of the standard USCM M314 Motion Tracker and qualified to drive the M577 Armored Personnel Carrier.
- Frost actor Ricco Ross originally read for the part of Corporal Hicks. He was then offered the role of Private Drake, but he turned it down in favour of appearing in Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket. However, James Cameron was so impressed with Ross' audition that he wrote the character of Frost specifically for him, and as a result Ross left Kubrick's production to appear in Aliens.
- "Frosty" shares his nickname with another character in the Alien franchise — Corporal Andrew "Frosty" Harrison from Aliens versus Predator 2.
- Frost's Flamethrower appears in the video game Aliens: Colonial Marines as a "Legendary Weapon".
- Frost's "PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER" T-shirt features the original M41A Pulse Rifle design from when the weapon was going to be based on the Heckler & Koch MP5.
- The trophy/achievement "Stay Frosty" in the 2010 video game Aliens vs. Predator, as well as being a dialogue quote from Hicks, is an obvious reference to Frost. Several lines of Frost's dialogue also inspired the titles of trophies/achievements in the game, including "Harsh Language".
- Similarly, Aliens: Colonial Marines also includes an award called "Stay Frosty". Several other trophies/achievements in the game are named after dialogue spoken by Frost, including "I Heard THAT".
- Aliens/novel (First appearance)
- Aliens: Book One (appears in dream)
- Aliens: Nightmare Asylum (mentioned only)
- Aliens: Colonial Marines (video game, mentioned only)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 James Cameron (writer and director). Aliens [DVD]. 20th Century Fox.
- ↑ Aliens: Newt's Tale, Issue 1
- ↑ http://aliensarchive.tripod.com/aliens/interviews/clivecurtis.html
- ↑ Aliens: Colonial Marines - Dog Tags - PFC. Ricco Frost
- ↑ Aliens: Infestation [Nintendo DS]. WayForward Technologies and Gearbox Software.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 "The Aliens Legacy • View topic - The Ultimate Character 'Personalization' resource/thread". Retrieved on July 19, 2014.
- ↑ "Strange Shapes - I Love The Corps!". Retrieved on 2013-05-10.
- ↑ "The Aliens Legacy • View topic - Ultimate Sidearm options list (general reference)". Retrieved on August 28, 2014.
- ↑ "Marine Sidearms". Retrieved on August 28, 2014.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 "AvPGalaxy - Alien Encounters Convention Cast Panel Video". Retrieved on 2013-05-23.
- ↑ Geoff Topping (1999). Sci-Fi & Fantasy FX International. Next Millennium Publishing, 39.
- ↑ http://www.propstore.com/product/aliens/replica-frost-t-shirt/
- ↑ http://www.amazon.com/Through-Superior-Firepower-T-Shirt-Featuring/dp/B0065KQ8ZU