- "Everything you need for a party."
- ―Draco Double Burner description (from Aliens/Predator Collectible Card Game)
The Draco Double Burner was an incredibly versatile multi-mode weapon used by the United Systems Military in the 24th century. Uniquely, it could function as an assault rifle, a grenade launcher or a flamethrower.
Draco Double Burners were notably used by the crew of the USM Auriga in 2381, to combat the Cloned Xenomorphs that escaped and infested the ship. Several members of the Betty crew appropriated Dracos from fallen USM soldiers and used them as they attempted to flee the infested vessel.
The Draco Double Burner is primarily designed as a military assault rifle. However, the weapon can also operate as a grenade launcher or flamethrower, firing a stream of liquid fuel, allowing it to be utilized in any number of combat situations and giving it a level of versatility few other weapons systems possess. Like the venerable M41A Pulse Rifle, the Draco features an LCD ammunition counter on the exterior of the weapon, allowing the user to quickly ascertain the amount of ammunition remaining within.
Behind the ScenesEdit
Like all of the weapons created for Alien Resurrection, the Draco Double Burners were not built around any existing firearms but were fabricated completely from scratch. This was a markedly different approach when compared to the fictional weapons that had appeared in the film series previously, all of which were constructed around functional, real-world weapons. In fact, the prop Dracos contained no genuine firearm components whatsoever, meaning that the rifle element of the weapon was incapable of firing blank ammunition. Instead, some of the weapons were able to fire pyrotechnic charges that simulated gunfire on set. In the larger rifle weapons, these charges were loaded into an electrically-operated rotating drum, similar to a revolver, hidden within the weapon. A separate Draco prop that acted as a working flamethrower was fed from an external fuel source via cables that attached to the rear of the stock. The Draco props were made mostly from machined aluminum.
The weapon's multiple modes are used by various characters throughout the film — Johner is seen using both the grenade launcher mode (to kill a Xenomorph during the underwater scene) and the assault rifle mode (to kill the Chestburster that erupts from Purvis), while Ripley 8 notably uses the weapon's flamethrower mode to torch the failed Ripley clones.
- The use of the Draco in Alien Resurrection continued the tradition of flamethrower weaponry featuring in the films of the Alien franchise — Alien prominently featured the Flame Thrower, Aliens featured the M240 Incinerator Unit and Prometheus would also feature a flamethrower. Despite not featuring flamethrowers, the prisoners in Alien3 also used fire as a weapon against the Dragon.
- The Draco Double Burner has often been labelled the AR-2 (or AR2 and Ar-2) on many prop websites. Similarly, the Lacrima 99 Shockrifle has often been labelled the AR-1 (or AR1 and Ar-1). Exactly where these names originate from is unknown. However, it is possible they are behind-the-scenes names used during the design process, used to identify them before the designers had decided on the specifics of each weapon.
- Although far more Lacrimas are seen being used by USM soldiers aboard the Auriga in Alien Resurrection, the images of the props found on the bonus disc of the Alien Anthology Blu-ray box set indicate that the Draco was "The primary rifle used on the Auriga". It is possible the roles and prominence of the two weapons were switched during production.
Behind the scenesEdit
- ↑ Aliens/Predator Collectible Card Game — Alien Resurrection Expansion Set — 32. Draco Double Burner (1997), HarperPrism.
- ↑ S. D. Perry. Alien: The Weyland-Yutani Report, p. 150 (2014), Insight Editions.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Joss Whedon (writer), Jean-Pierre Jeunet (director). Alien Resurrection (1997), 20th Century Fox [DVD].
- ↑ S. D. Perry. Alien: The Weyland-Yutani Report, p. 9 (2014), Insight Editions.
- ↑ Alien Anthology - The Anthology Archives - Alien Resurrection - Production - Photography - Production Image Galleries - Production Props: Weapons
- ↑ http://www.propstore.com/product/alien-resurrection/sigourney-weaver-hero-ar2-flame-thrower-rifle/
- ↑ http://www.proparchives.com/science-fiction/science-fiction-1990s/alien-resurrection/sigourney-weaver-hero-ar-2-rifle-from-alien-resurrection
- ↑ http://www.screenused.com/?sectionID=item-detail&subsectionID=index.cfm&item_id=5437
- ↑ http://www.proparchives.com/science-fiction/science-fiction-1990s/alien-resurrection/hero-ar-1-pulse-rifle-from-alien-resurrection
- ↑ http://www.proparchives.com/science-fiction/science-fiction-1990s/alien-resurrection/alien-resurrection-ar-1-pulse-rifle
- ↑ "Trade Cards Online - Draco Double Burner". Retrieved on 2013-10-09.