- "Big things have small beginnings."
- ―David (from Prometheus)
David is the name given to a series of androids manufactured by Weyland Industries. The first of the series, David 1, was the first advanced android prototype model of its kind.
David 1's development was announced in 2025, after Weyland Industries obtained a patent for cybernetic individuals for use in scientific and industrial environments in 2023. Peter Weyland, founder of Weyland Industries, gave the android the name David because as the name he had initially reserved for his own human son.
The first commercially available David, David 4, was created in 2042 and successfully improved work-flow and efficiency around the world.
The latest model, David 8, possesses human emotions and is almost indistinguishable from human individuals. He was launched in the exploratory vessel Prometheus and his role in the ship is, among others, to awake the other crew members from hypersleep.
"He has been reimagined, reengineered and brought to life with better technological, intellectual, physical and emotional performance than ever before. Welcome to the eighth generation of cybernetic advancement. Brought to you by Weyland Industries. With his new 99% emotional sensitivity level, David 8 can enter seamlessly into any environment and carry out an authentic human interaction. David 8 can understand and respond appropriately to even the most intricate emotional cues or subtly stated verbal commands. David 8 has valuable skills in manufacturing, finance, earth sciences and medicine, and he can become instantly competent in almost any other field.
He is polished, practiced, and efficient, by far the most advanced and human-like cybernetic individual on the market today. David 8 is guaranteed to surprise you. He is extremely versatile, endlessly useful and his database of unique functionality is limitless. Unlike human counterparts, David 8 is willing to perform any task that he is assigned, without question or resistance. He will not flinch at even the most disturbing or seemingly irregular assignment, and he will dutifully persevere until reaching his final objective.
Discover, explore and Build Better Worlds with the new David 8."
David 8 is first seen wandering the halls of the ship Prometheus, where he rides bicycles, bounces a basketball, learns ancient languages and watches films (with a particular favorite being Lawrence of Arabia). During Elizabeth Shaw's hypersleep, David views one of her dreams (via a visual visor) about her childhood relationship with her father and their faithful beliefs, which David finds inspiring. Like Shaw, David has a curious interest in the Engineers and their advanced technology. He serves Vickers without question but he is also taking orders from Peter Weyland, who presumably asks David to collect samples of what they find within the structures.
Able to comprehend the languages surrounding the structures, David activates one of the doorways, and he is fascinated by the large altar of urns inside. Particularly intrigued by the black substance found on the alien structure, David secretly brings back an ampoule of it, when Shaw warns of an approaching windstorm. During their return, David saves Shaw and Holloway from the storm when she endangered herself trying to retrieve a dropped Engineer head. When discovering that the head is really covered by a skeletal-like helmet, David was able to unlock it, and was awed by its cellular preservation, only to be disappointed by its explosive bacterial infection, realizing it was mortal after all. Due to curiosity, he spikes Holloway's drink with the bacteria from the Urns. When ordered to go back to the structure to find their colleagues, David chooses to repair a pup sensor, which he knew, was really hindered by a door. Upon discovery, he becomes amazed by its reveal of the main deck of a starship, and its activated virtual map of the galaxy excites him even more when finding that it was intended to return to Earth, only to be suddenly switched off, but not until he finds one Engineer alive, but resting, in a hypersleep chamber.
When the remaining crew returned after believing some kind of alien airborne infection caused the deaths of their members, including Holloway's illness, Shaw, who was coping from Holloway's death, was being prepped by David for an examination. Even when David tries to relate to her situation by bringing up the similar kind of death her father had, he sees that it mostly upsets her, especially when she finds out about him watching her dreams. When he learns that she is pregnant with an alien creature, he suggests that she must be frozen until the alien is removed, which Shaw wants it removed now, and is injected with a sedative to calm her down. She would later escape to get it removed, and while finding help, finds David helping Peter Weyland, who had secretly been on board the ship all along. Even when Shaw tries to convince them to leave back to Earth, David mentions the discovered Engineer, where Weyland suggest the crew must revive it.
When going to see the Engineer, David is asked by Shaw about the Engineers carrying bioweapons, which David concluded if one were to create, one must destroy. After waking the creature and attempting to speak to it in its own language, David at first is at awe when he thought the Engineer is humble to meet him, as it lays its hand on top of his head, only emotionally shocked when it suddenly rips his head off and kills the others, save Shaw. Despite being decapitated, David is still functioning, saying goodbye to his dying "father", and warns Shaw when the Engineer comes after her in the escape pod.
After Shaw escapes, David assures her that it is possible for her to escape the moon, but only if she brings him with her, since only he can navigate the alien craft. Although Shaw agrees to his help, she insists that instead of Earth, they must go to find the homeworld of the Engineers. After retrieving David's body to be later reattached, Shaw places David's head in a duffel bag, and after also retrieving his body from the Engineers' ship, the two depart in one of the Engineers' ships to find the Engineer homeworld.
Although integrated with human emotions, David is almost childlike in his curiosity with understanding humans. His interest in Lawrence Of Arabia inspires him into modeling himself after the lead protagonist, T.E. Lawrence, from quoting his lines, to styling his hair. He senses that the crew still views him as just an android, even taunted by Holloway's biased remarks towards him as being such. Despite this, David is able to tolerate his treatment with the crew, and will still be willing to assist them. He is also trying to comprehend his emotions in an appropriate manner of social interaction, especially when he found a curious interest in Elizabeth Shaw. Like Shaw, David hopes to discover the Engineers and their advanced technology, in order to understand if man's existence is similar or different from his own.
On the negative side, David also has no compunctions about infecting Holloway with the Black Fluid, which results in Holloway's death and the impregnation of Shaw with a Trilobite. At this point in the film he also seems unconcerned with the probable death of Shaw from the impregnation, probably following programming to bring back examples of exobiotic species as was the android Ash in the film Alien.
- Technological: David 8 is a perfect confluence of technologies. His advanced cybernetic vision has been further improved to include focus-adjust in low light conditions. And a new global location mapping algorithm identifies David 8’s coordinates and returns him to a pre-programmed rendezvous point. David 8’s Pursuance Protocol ensures quality performance: given a project to complete, David 8 will see it done.
- Intellectual: With a fluid intelligence on the order of 1012 neurons or 200 petaflops, David 8 exhibits twice the neural net capacity of humans. The new sensory-data processor in David 8 combines perfect human reasoning with the most advanced cybernetic computing power. Owing to such technology, David 8 can function autonomously in any human environment, displaying complex human intellectual traits such as curiosity and self-motivation towards a final objective.
- Physical: An advanced polyurethane coating replicates the biological properties of human skin to exact texture, pliability and tensile strength. With a cadmium alloy endoskeleton, David 8’s frame can withstand over 1,000 pounds of compression force. Micro-distributed accelerometers provide ultra-keen kinesthetic awareness. And as a new design feature, David 8 has been programmed in several common sports modes; he now enjoys basketball, cycling, golf and more.
- Emotional: For David 8, Weyland’s emotional encoding software has been redesigned to include recognition of thousands more facial expressions than previous models. Proprietary expression mapping sensors allow David 8 to interpret critical human emotional states. The evaluation process happens at synaptic speed, instantly sending thousands of micro-facial movements into effect, giving David 8 a remarkably natural, human response.
David 8 is fluent in all known languages through a dialectic implant and can infer the linguistic components of entirely new languages if encountered. Communication between humans and David 8 should feel entirely fluid and natural. He instantly recognizes the tone and timbre of a new voice and will register it with his database.
Unlike previous models, David 8 can conduct all of his own maintenance procedures. He constantly monitors the degradation of his high-turbidity hydraulic fluid and will replenish at regular intervals (bi-monthly approximate for most mixed-use applications). His zero-loss lithium ion cells are guaranteed for the life of the product. Major repairs or physical damage must be addressed through an authorized Weyland Cybernetics facility.
Mind and MemoryEdit
- Fluid intelligence equivalent of 1012 neurons (200 petaflops)
- 3D kinematics guidance center
- Fear center safety program (can be disabled)
- Advanced emotional encoding
- Facial recognition via proprietary expression mapping
- Unlimited memory
- If one looks closely when David examines a drop of the Black Liquid on his fingertip, it can be seen that a few of his fingerprint's friction ridges form the Weyland Corp logo.
- David have similar characteristic to an android in a movie called A.I:Artificial Intelligence. His name is also David. They both have blond hair and blue eyes. The only difference is David from Prometheus physical appearance looks like a young man in his 20s-30s while David from A.I: Artificial Intelligence resembles a boy. It is unknown whether this is intentionally or not. David 8 is also taunted by Prometheus crew members as wanting to be a "real boy" as was David from A.I.