Dark Horse Presents, commonly abbreviated as DHP, is a long-running comic book anthology series published by Dark Horse Comics. Since its launch in 1986, it has been published in several different incarnations — it was the company's flagship title until its cancellation in September 2000, was relaunched as a digital publication on the MySpace social networking site from July 2007-August 2010, and finally made a return to print in April 2011.
Dark Horse Presents has featured numerous Aliens, Predator and Aliens vs. Predator comic book stories over the course of its history, alongside stories featuring other Dark Horse properties and characters. In particular, it is notable for being the birthplace of the Alien vs. Predator franchise, which began with the first ever Aliens vs. Predator story published in Dark Horse Presents #36 in February 1990.
Dark Horse Presents has primarily been a black and white series, although occasional annuals and special issues have been printed in color. From 1992-1994, Dark Horse concurrently produced a second anthology series, entitled simply Dark Horse Comics, that featured full-color stories. These two series, together with the UK-based Aliens magazine, accounted for most of the comic short story releases in the Alien, Predator and Alien vs. Predator franchises — although there have also been a handful of other one-shots and special issues.
As well as regular monthly anthology releases, Dark Horse Comics have also released a number of one-shot annuals and special issues under the Dark Horse Presents title.
The first print run of Dark Horse Presents was cancelled with issue #157 in September 2000. It was (and remains) Dark Horse's longest-running continual publication. Over the course of its fourteen-year run, many of the characters and properties it introduced were spun-off into their own successful series, including Concrete, Sin City and Aliens vs. Predator.
In July 2007, Dark Horse Presents was relaunched online as a color supplement on the company's page at Myspace.com, under the title Myspace Dark Horse Presents (MDHP). This incarnation of the anthology lasted until August 2010, when it was again cancelled.
Finally, the series made a return to the printed format in April 2011 as Dark Horse Presents, Volume 2. In August 2014, the series was scaled back from an 80-page publication to 48 pages and again relaunched, as Dark Horse Presents, Volume 3, but it continues to be published monthly.
Featured Aliens, Predator and AVP StoriesEdit
- Dark Horse Presents #24 (Nov 1988)
- Dark Horse Presents #34 (Nov 1989)
- Dark Horse Presents #35 (Dec 1989)
- Predator by Randy Stradley and Phill Norwood (Aliens vs. Predator (series 1) prologue, part 2 of 3)
- Predator cover by Chris Warner
- Dark Horse Presents #36 (Feb 1990)
- Dark Horse Presents #42 (July 1990)
- Dark Horse Presents #43 (Aug 1990)
- Aliens: Terminus by Paul Guinan and Anina Bennett (part 2 of 2)
- Aliens cover by Paul Guinan
- Dark Horse Presents #46 (Nov 1990)
- Dark Horse Presents #56 (Nov 1991) aka Giant Dark Horse Presents Annual 1991
- Dark Horse Presents #67 (Nov 1992)
- Dark Horse Presents #68 (Dec 1992)
- Predator: Race War by Randy Stradley, Andrew Vachss and Jordan Raskin (Predator: Race War (series) prologue, part 2 of 3)
- Predator cover by Ray Lago
- Dark Horse Presents #69 (Jan 1993)
- Predator: Race War by Randy Stradley, Andrew Vachss and Jordan Raskin (Predator: Race War (series) prologue, part 3 of 3)
- Predator cover by Ray Lago
- Dark Horse Presents #101 (Sept 1995)
- Dark Horse Presents #102 (Oct 1995)
- Aliens: Incubation by Ron Marz and Bernie Wrightson (Batman/Aliens prologue, part 2 of 2)
- Aliens cover by Bernie Wrightson
- Dark Horse Presents #117 (Jan 1997)
- Dark Horse Presents #124 (Aug 1997)
- Dark Horse Presents #137 (Nov 1998)
- Dark Horse Presents #140 (Feb 1999)
- Dark Horse Presents #146 (Sept 1999)
- Dark Horse Presents #147 (Oct 1999)
- Aliens vs. Predator: The Web by Ian Edginton and Derek Thompson (part 2 of 2)
Annuals and special issuesEdit
- Dark Horse Presents Fifth Anniversary Special (April 1991)
- Dark Horse Presents: Aliens Platinum Edition (April 1992)
- Reprints first four Dark Horse Presents Aliens stories in color
- Dark Horse Presents #24, released in November 1988 and featuring the story Aliens: Theory of Alien Propagation, is sometimes referred to as the first Aliens comic to be published by Dark Horse, but this incorrect. That honor actually goes to Aliens (series 1) #1, which was released in July 1988. Theory of Alien Propagation is actually a companion piece to that series.
- Dark Horse Comics
- Aliens (comic series) — An overview of Dark Horse's Aliens comics.
- Predator (comic series) — An overview of Dark Horse's Predator comics.
- Aliens vs. Predator (comic series) — An overview of Dark Horse' Aliens vs. Predator comics.
- Dark Horse Comics (comic series) — An overview of the Dark Horse Comics anthology series.
- Aliens (UK magazine) — An Overview of Dark Horse's UK-based comics magazine.
Dark Horse Presents on Myspace