Private First Class Daniel Spunkmeyer was a Cheyenne dropship Crew Chief with the United States Colonial Marine Corps, part of 2nd Battalion Bravo Team. He was a member of the combat unit deployed to LV-426 aboard the USS Sulaco in 2179, to investigate the sudden loss of contact with the colony of Hadley's Hope. He subsequently perished as a result of the Xenomorph infestation at the colony.
During the mission to Hadley's Hope, Spunkmeyer acted as copilot aboard the dropship Bug Stomper, piloted by Corporal Ferro. He was killed when a Xenomorph stowed away on board, ultimately causing the dropship to crash.
Spunkmeyer lied about his age when he signed up to the USCM and was in fact under the legal limit for a serving Marine.
Mission to LV-426Edit
As the Sulaco arrived at LV-426, Spunkmeyer set to preparing and arming the dropship Bug Stomper for the mission, including loading heavy ordnance with a Power Loader. During the drop, he took his place in the copilot's seat, operating many of the dropship's systems during the initial recon of the Hadley's Hope complex.
After dropping off the section's APC, Bug Stomper stayed on station to provide air cover as the Marines secured the colony. Once this was complete, Spunkmeyer and Ferro landed to drop off additional supplies; Spunkmeyer personally delivered supplies to Bishop, who was studying a Facehugger in the colony's lab. As the Marines elected to use the APC to travel to the Atmosphere Processing Plant in search of survivors, Bug Stomper was not required and Spunkmeyer and Ferro waited at the main colony complex until they were called up again.
When Corporal Hicks called for a pickup following the disastrous battle in the Atmosphere Processor, Ferro ordered Spunkmeyer, who had gone outside, back to the dropship. On board, he discovered a suspicious slime, evidence that a Xenomorph was aboard, but his attempts to warn Ferro fell on deaf ears. He climbed aboard and closed the cargo ramp, but never made it to the cockpit. It is unclear whether he was killed outright by the Warrior that had stowed away on board, or whether he was incapacitated only to die when Bug Stomper crashed soon afterwards.
Personality and TraitsEdit
As Crew Chief and copilot aboard the section's Cheyenne dropships, Spunkmeyer represented an important lifeline for the unit. With a positive, but also modest attitude, he was well liked by the other Marines. He seemed to be particularly close to Hicks and Frost, and also got on well with Bishop, despite his status as an android.
Spunkmeyer's primary equipment in the field were the UD-4L Cheyenne Dropships that he helped to operate, Bug Stomper and Smart Ass, piloted by Corporal Ferro. He was also qualified to operate the Caterpillar P-5000 Work Loader, which was used to load some of the Cheyenne's larger ordnance. When in action, Spunkmeyer wore a standard-issue USCM flight suit and flak jacket. He also wore an Mk.30 tactical helmet or a headset.
- Spunkmeyer actor Daniel Kash originally read for the part of Private Hudson.
- In James Cameron's original treatment for Aliens, Spunkmeyer's name is Hay.
- In a deleted scene from Aliens, Spunkmeyer complains, "I'm too old for this shit" when he wakes up aboard the Sulaco. This exact same line was later made famous by Predator 2 star Danny Glover in the Lethal Weapon series.
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20021214230235/http://www.alien-movies.com/html/aliens/characters/2cha_spunk.html
- ↑ James Cameron (writer and director). Aliens [DVD]. 20th Century Fox.
- ↑ Dark Horse Presents, Volume 3, Issue 2
- ↑ 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' [Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360]. Gearbox Software.
- ↑ Aliens: Infestation [Nintendo DS]. WayForward Technologies and Gearbox Software.
- ↑ Alan Dean Foster. (1986). Aliens novelization. Warner Books, 69.
- ↑ Alan Dean Foster. (1986). Aliens novelization. Warner Books, 179.
- ↑ "The Aliens Legacy • View topic - Ultimate Sidearm options list (general reference)". Retrieved on August 28, 2014.
- ↑ James Cameron, Gale Anne Hurd, Gordon Carroll, David Giler, Walter Hill, Stan Winston. Superior Firepower: The Making of 'Aliens' [DVD]. 20th Century Fox.
- ↑ "AvPGalaxy - Alien Encounters Convention Cast Panel Video". Retrieved on 2013-05-23.
- ↑ "Alien II" (original treatment) by James Cameron