A Predalien terrorized Gunnison, Colorado, Earth in 2004. The Predalien was the result of a Facehugger implanting Scar with an embryonic Chestburster during his failed Rite of Passage Hunt in a Pyramid under Bouvet Island. The creature was ultimately destroyed by a tactical nuclear device dropped on the city, both to cover what truly happened and also to wipe out the Xenomorph infestation.
Biology and Appearance
This Predalien possessed mandibles, dreadlocks, a yellowish hide, and had a large multi-spiked blade for a tail. The dome covering the head was also slightly more transparent than a Warrior's and hollow eye sockets could be seen beneath. Its tail was much thicker, longer, not as skeletal as a human-spawned Warrior's. Its blood seemed to be slightly greener than that of the average Xenomorph, suggesting it inherited some aspects of the glowing blood of its host.
The Predalien also appeared to emit greater or at least different electromagnetic pulses than human-spawned Xenomorphs. Bio-Masks displayed the Predalien as a bright yellow color compared to the neon green of a Warrior or Drone. This particular Predalien was perhaps a young Queen/Praetorian, as it had the ability to impregnate female hosts with multiple (up to five) Bellybursters via an inner jaw proboscis-like tube inserted into the host's throat (much like how a Facehugger impregnates a host) It also has a large crest similar to that of a Queen Xenomorph or its host. The Predalien was shown to possess titanic strength, as it was able to effortessly break through solid concrete and outmatch and overpower a Predator with ease; this is because a Xenomorph is always stronger than its host type.
Bouvet Island, Antarctica
During a ritual Xenomorph Hunt on Bouvet Island, Antartica, the Yautja Scar was attacked by a Facehugger. After his death in battle fighting a rampaging Xenomorph Queen alongside Lex Woods, Scar's fellow hunters took his body on board their waiting Mother Ship and laid him atop a crypt.
As the Mother Ship left Earth, the infant Predalien erupted from the Predator’s chest. Sneaking aboard a Scout Ship that detached from the Mother Ship, the Predalien molted as quickly as its Antarctic cousins, moving stealthily past containers holding numerous captive Facehuggers. Chaos overtook the crew as the Predalien stalked and killed the Predators on board. Stray bolts fired from a Plasma Caster ripped into the hull of the ship as it neared Earth, causing the ship to crash-land in the town of Gunnison, Colorado. The lone surviving Predator activated a distress signal before its death at the jaws of the Predalien. The latter and the captive Facehuggers then crawled into the woods to find human hosts attempting to establish their Hive somewhere.
The Predalien and several Xenomorph Warriors spread into the Gunnison County sewers, impregnating a camp of homeless people. Encountering a woman, the Predalien knocked a Xenomorph aside. Bypassing the egg-laying and facehugger stage altogether, the Predalien deposited Xenomorph embryos directly down her throat to gestate in her stomach.
In response to the distress call, the Yautja Wolf arrived on Earth to clean up the infestation and cover up any evidence of the Xenomorphs' presence. Setting its fellow Xenomorph underlings against Wolf, the Predalien escaped from the sewers. Moving into the heart of Gunnison, it entered a diner, where it killed the cook and implanted embryos into the pregnant waitress, Carrie. After several more Bellybursters were born and the Xenomorphs began to overrun the town, the Predalien and its Warriors invaded the local hospital. The Predalien entered the maternity wing and deposited more of its young into the pregnant women. The Xenomorphs secreted Hive webbing on the walls, taking victims to the nest to be implanted.
Tracking the Predalien to the hospital, Wolf battled with the humans who were seeking to escape in the hospital’s helicopter. After Wolf was shoved down an elevator shaft, the Predalien impaled Ricky Howard with its tail, severely wounding him. It was forced to retreat as Ricky's brother, Dallas, fired at the Predalien with a Colt M4A1. A three-way battle subsequently broke out between the humans, the Xenomorphs, and Wolf.
Duel and death
The four humans narrowly escaped the blast from a tactical nuclear bomb dropped on Gunnison to contain and cover up the infestation. Locked in mortal combat, the Predalien, Wolf, the Warriors, the Hive, and all the remaining residents of Gunnison were incinerated in the blast.
List of Known Victims
- Scar (host)
- Carrie Adams
- Nurse Helen
- Pregnant Jay-Lyn
- Pregnant Jennifer
- Pregnant Lili
- Pregnant Maia
- Pregnant Sue
Behind the Scenes
About a year before Amalgamated Dynamics, Inc. began production on Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem, they got a call from producer John Davis, who told them that they may be working on the film. They generated a couple of designs for the Predalien and Alec Gillis had an idea for a Queen-like version. He sculpted a head using castings of teeth from ADI's miniature Queen used in Alien vs. Predator and, for the dreadlocks, cast multiple tails from the molds of the miniature Alien from Alien3, which he then heat-formed them into shape. Artist Steve Koch then photographed the sculpture and digitally added mandibles from the Predator in ADI's showroom and gave the creature the appropriate paint scheme. Beneath the carapace, the creature featured human-like eye sockets, an element re-used from the original Alien in Alien 29 years earlier.
Meanwhile, Woodruff worked with frequent ADI collaborator Jordu Schell on a full body maquette of another version of the Predalien. This one leaned a bit more towards the Predalien aesthetic, particularly in the anatomy of the body. Again working with Koch, the maquette was photgraphed and composited into a shot towering over a human.
Balancing the mix
In designing the hybrid of the two creatures, Amalgamated Dynamics, Inc. had to keep in mind that the infant Chestburster had gestated inside a Predator, but it was not actually an offspring of a Predator. It was still basically an Alien, but it had taken on some of the characteristics of its host. It also had to look more like an Alien so that the audience would believe its loyalties were with the Alien species and not the Predators. To estimate the proportion of the combo, ADI went with 80% Alien and 20% Predator, but the proportion was changed when a 14-year old happened to be walking through the halls of 20th Century Fox, saw the maquette and said "Wow! Cool Alien!" The observation led to much discussion about how to make it look more like a Predator, and some last minute adding of dreadlocks to increase the Predator "feel".
During filming, the Predalien was nicknamed "Chet" by the production crew in order to mask its presence in the film. The name has since stuck and been used by the crew to refer to the creature in various behind the scenes media. The name was allegedly a reference to actor Bill Paxton's character in Weird Science, Paxton having played Private Hudson in Aliens.
- Oddly, although Scar was stabbed in the torso by a Queen, the Predalien Chestburster inside him survived. In the Alien vs. Predator commentary it was explained that the Predalien was abiding in his chest while the Queen stabbed him in the gut.
- In Alien vs. Predator the Predalien Chestburster originally had an inner jaw. This was removed when the ending of Alien vs. Predator was remade for Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem. This was likely done due to the Predalien's impregnation method introduced in the sequel.
- Originally, the Predalien was to skin several of its victims, including some of the Predators it killed, showing that it still has some Predator instincts. Stills of skinned Predators can be seen in Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff Jr.'s book, AVPR: Inside the Monster Shop, although the scenes were deleted from the film.
- Furthermore, the Predalien was originally going to use Predator technology, including Wrist Blades, a Plasma Caster and a Cloaking Device, in the film, but this idea was removed in the final cut of the film.
- The Predalien's gender is unclear as the designers have referred to it as both male and female, as have the Strause brothers. For example, during the film's commentary, particularly the fight scene with Wolf, the Strause brothers refer to it almost exclusively as male. However, in later interviews they have called the creature a "she". When questioned in one interview to clarify the issue, Colin responded with that the Predalien is a "she". 
- The Predalien is said to be a young Queen according to the directors, and they have stated that it reproduces the way it does before it matures further and becomes immobile with an Egg sac.
- ↑ AvP-R: Preparing for War: Development and Production featurette, from the Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem Region 1 Extreme Unrated Set DVD
- ↑ Crossbreed: Creating the Predalien
- ↑ http://www.movieweb.com/news/the-strause-brothers-bust-a-gut-over-aliens-vs-predator-requiem
- ↑ (2007) Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem: Inside the Monster Shop. Design Studio Press, 105.
- ↑ (2007) Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem: Inside the Monster Shop. Design Studio Press, 106.
- ↑ https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/blog/avpr-aliens-vs-predator-predalien-by-adi
- ↑ http://www.alienexperience.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93:colin-strause-director-avp-r&catid=36:interviews&Itemid=50
- ↑ "Basically the Predalien's kind of a baby queen-there's a phase in between warrior alien and full-blown queen...they do this thing with embryo implantation.. the idea with that was; how does a baby queen quickly form her own little mini-drone army to get the hive built before she evolves into the final state where she can't completely defend herself?"--Colin Strause, "AvP-R: Preparing for War: Development and Production" featurette, from the Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem Region 1 Extreme Unrated Set DVD
- ↑ http://www.movieweb.com/news/strause-brothers-talk-about-alien-vs-predator-requiems-r-rating
- ↑ http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1569392/alien-vs-predator-sequels-r-rated-secrets-revealed.jhtml
- ↑ http://www.studioadi.com/bsf.php