Celtic was a Young Blood Yautja who, in 2004, travelled to Earth with his younger comrades Scar and Chopper to undertake an initiation Hunt in an ancient Predator pyramid beneath the ice on Bouvet Island. In stalking and killing Xenomorph prey, they hoped to become Blooded Yautja. Although each of the Predators was a relatively inexperienced juvenile, Celtic acted as the leader of the group.
During the ritual hunt, Celtic killed at least one human and engaged the Xenomorph Grid in single combat. However, despite initially having the upper-hand, his over-confidence ultimately got the better of him and he was killed by Grid. As a result, Celtic failed to slay any aliens and thus never became Blooded.
Upon reaching the surface camp set up by the Weyland Industries expedition at Razorback Point Whaling Station, Celtic and the other Yautja with him began quickly dispatching the drillers and mercenaries stationed there. During the slaughter, Celtic confronted Quinn, engaging him in hand-to-hand combat. Despite his formidable physique, Quinn was no match for the Predator and after a brief tussle, Celtic knocked him down the access tunnel that led to the pyramid thousands of feet below, where he was later finished off by Scar.
Upon entering the pyramid, the Yautja discovered that the humans had taken their Plasmacaster from the sarcophagus in which they were kept, and the creatures split up to hunt down those responsible. Celtic later caught up with several of the survivors and attacked, trapping Stafford with his Netgun before impaling him with his Combistick, killing him. Before Celtic could finish strangling Sebastian, he witnessed Chopper being ambushed and killed by a lone alien Drone known as Grid. Angered by the death of his fellow Young Blood, Celtic immediately tossed Sebastian aside and engaged the alien in a duel. The fight was long and brutal, with Celtic dominant, slicing off Grid's tail blade and trapping him with his Netgun, badly scarring him. But as the Predator drew his Ceremonial Dagger to finish the netted Alien, Grid broke free and tackled Celtic to the ground, killing him with a Headbite.
List of Notable Victims
Personality and Traits
Celtic was a very large and strong Yautja who could have been easily tempered by small things, like when Rusten Quinn shot Celtic once in his shoulder armor with a Desert Eagle, which greatly angered Celtic enough to push the human to the ground, continuously beat him, and eventually send him falling down a 2,000 feet tunnel, showing his superiority over the human. Despite his ruthlessness, he was not a dishonorable hunter and still followed the Yautja Honor Code, as he was only shown killing those who had attacked him in some way. Celtic was prideful and very over-confident, even by Predator standards, as shown in his fight with Grid; despite having the upper hand during most of the fight, he took too long in unsheathing his dagger, giving Grid the time it needed to break free and kill him.
Celtic carried a variety of equipment during his Rite of Passage Hunt in Antarctica. As with his fellow Yautja, Celtic wore a Bio-Mask, which received four scratch marks over the left eye when Grid scratched it with its claw. On the left side of his back, Celtic carried a Plasmacaster, which was positioned over his left shoulder and a Medicomp, which was located to the right of the Caster. On the right side of his back, Celtic carried a Combistick. On his right gauntlet, Celtic was equipped with dual Wristblades which could extend to two lengths and have the direction of the blades reversed. On his left gauntlet he was equipped with a Netgun. On his belt, Celtic carried a retracted Shuriken. On the right side of his right leg, Celtic carried a Ceremonial Dagger in a sheath, which he drew to finish of Grid when the lattter was trapped in his Netgun's net. However, Grid managed to escape the net just in time and tackle Celtic, knocking away the Dagger.
- Ceremonial Dagger
- Wrist Gauntlet
Behind the Scenes
The basic body suits for all three Predators in Alien vs. Predator — Scar, Celtic and Chopper — were actually poured from the same mold, before being customized after the fact to make each character appear unique. Sixteen suits were created, each painted in the same color scheme so that they could be replaced at any time if necessary. As in Predator 2, the armor was created separately as the script required it to be removed; armor pieces, made from either fiberglass or flexible urethane, were used to customize the suits and create the three different individuals. Celtic was given Wristblades similar to those seen in previous films, a new, sleeker Combistick and a Netgun on the left forearm gauntlet. Celtic's mask, as his name implies, was modelled on Celtic knotworks.
- Celtic is the biggest and the leader of the three Predator Young Bloods, with a more elaborate and distinguishable Bio-Mask. Ian Whyte, who played Celtic in the film, said he tried to give the Predator the attitude of an alpha male.
- The Predator Hunter in the 2010 video game Aliens vs. Predator shares his appearance with Celtic. Hunter is also a multiplayer skin in the game, unlocked when players reach Rank 16.
- Celtic's Bio-Mask seems to be inspired by Guardian's from Predator 2, which was in fact the original mask created for the Jungle Hunter in Predator.
- As an Easter Egg, Celtic's mask can be seen, along with Scar's and Chopper's, in Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem when Wolf retrieves his mask off of a wall.
- It seems somewhat odd that Celtic didn't retrieve his Combistick before fighting Grid.
- Despite the fact Celtic never used a Plasmacaster in the film, various Celtic action figures came packaged with one. Similarly, Chopper action figures also came with a Plasmacaster, despite the fact he likewise never used one in the movie.
- ↑ Paul W. S. Anderson (writer and director). Alien vs. Predator (2004), 20th Century Fox [DVD].
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 "Monster Legacy - Predator Metamorphosis – Part III: Alien vs. Predator". Retrieved on 2014-01-20.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Paul W. S. Anderson (writer and director). Alien vs. Predator Unrated Edition (2005), 20th Century Fox [DVD].