|Aliens: Bug Hunt|
|Release date(s)||April 18, 2017|
|Media type|| Mass-market paperback|
|Preceded by||Alien: Invasion|
|Followed by||Alien: Covenant - Origins|
Aliens: Bug Hunt is a 2017 anthology novel published by Titan Books. The book contains 18 short stories by different writers that all focus on the Colonial Marines. Contributing authors include Dan Abnett, Rachel Caine, Larry Correia, Keith R. A. DeCandido, David Farland, Matt Forbeck, Ray Garton, Christopher Golden, Heather Graham, Brian Keene, Paul Kupperberg, Tim Lebbon, Marina J. Lostetter, Jonathan Maberry, James A. Moore, Yvonne Navarro, Weston Ochse, Mike Resnick and Scott Sigler. It was released on April 18, 2017.
When the Marines set out after their deadliest prey, the Xenomorphs, it's what Corporal Hicks calls a bug hunt — kill or be killed. Here are eighteen all-new stories of such "close encounters", written by many of today's most extraordinary authors.
Set during the events of all four Alien films, sending the Marines to alien worlds, to derelict space settlements, and into the nests of the universe's most dangerous monsters, these adventures are guaranteed to send the blood racing — one way or another.
- Chance Encounter by Paul Kupperberg
- Reaper by Dan Abnett
- Broken by Rachel Caine
- Reclamation by Yvonne Navarro
- Blowback by Christopher Golden
- Exterminators by Matt Forbeck
- No Good Deed by Ray Garton
- Zero to Hero by Weston Ochse
- Dark Mother by David Farland
- Episode 22 by Larry Correia
- Deep Background by Keith R. A. DeCandido
- Empty Nest by Brian Keene
- Darkness Falls by Heather Graham
- Hugs to Die For by Mike Resnick and Marina J. Lostetter
- Deep Black by Jonathan Maberry
- Distressed by James A. Moore
- Dangerous Prey by Scott Sigler
- Spite by Tim Lebbon
The book also features an introduction by Maberry.
- The book's title is taken from the line, "Is this gonna be a stand-up fight, sir, or another bug hunt?" spoken by Private Hudson (as well as the later affirmation, "It's a bug hunt," said by Corporal Hicks) in the film Aliens. The similar Predator anthology novel published later the same year, Predator: If It Bleeds, likewise takes its title from film dialogue, in that case from Predator.
- Bug Hunt was also the name of the first DLC pack released for the video game Aliens: Colonial Marines.
- Of the 18 authors contributing to the anthology, Dan Abnett, Christopher Golden, Tim Lebbon, James A. Moore and Yvonne Navarro have all previously written stories for the Alien franchise, be they novels, video games or comic books.
- According to editor Jonathan Maberry in his introduction to the book, some of the stories may not be considered canonical, while others will fit into the established continuity of the Alien franchise.
- The synopsis on the back cover of both the hard and softcover editions both say that the book includes "fifteen all-new stories" when in fact there are eighteen.