Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Alien: The Weyland-Yutani Report|
|Author(s)||S. D. Perry|
|Release date(s)|| October 30, 2014 (France)|
May 2015 (United States)
Alien: The Weyland-Yutani Report is a 2014 fictional technical guide to the species known as Xenomorph XX121 and its historical interactions with mankind, written by S. D. Perry and published by Insight Editions. The book was previewed at New York Comic-Con 2013. It was released on October 30, 2014 in France and November 14, 2014 in Spain, but did not see an English-language release until May 2015, and even then only as a special Collector's Edition. A cheaper standard English version was published on April 26, 2016, as part of Alien Day.
The book is a fictional overview of mankind's interaction with the Xenomorph as portrayed the films of the Alien franchise, and also covers the events of Prometheus. It helps to build upon the details of the film series, expanding on the characters and events shown therein, and includes numerous digital renderings of the Xenomorph, as well as recreations of in-universe artifacts and documents.
For hundreds of years now, scientists at the Weyland-Yutani Corporation have been monitoring the behavior of an alien life-form so powerful that its potential for military application appears limitless. Although all attempts to harness the beast's abilities have ended in appalling bloodshed, the acquisition of the Xenomorph remains a priority. As such, Weyland-Yutani has granted you access to their detailed files on the alien in the hope that you will be able to help capture and subjugate one of these fascinating yet deadly creatures.
The book is written in the form of an in-universe report published by the Weyland-Yutani Corporation, and primarily provides detailed information on the life-cycle of the Xenomorph and an overview of historical encounters with the organism, as seen in the films of the Alien franchise. Additionally, the book features a host of other information on the world of Alien, including insights into the history of the universe and, in particular, Weyland-Yutani, breakdowns of the weapons and equipment seen in the series, and additional backstory on the characters and events of the films. The book focusses on the Alien films and Prometheus — the events of the Alien vs. Predator franchise are totally ignored — but also makes oblique references to the novels Alien: Out of the Shadows and Alien: River of Pain, as well as the video game Alien: Isolation.
The book contains many specially-commissioned illustrations, with over 30 original digital renderings of the Xenomorph and its various forms by expert Markus Pansegrau, along with ten technical illustrations by Alien tech expert John R. Mullaney, including cutaways of the Dropship, APC, and uniquely detailed artwork of the Nostromo and Sulaco, as well as iconic weapons such as the Pulse Rifle and Smartgun. Alongside these images, the book includes reproductions of in-universe documents and items, including:
- A report from Joan Lambert on breaking quarantine by allowing Kane and the Facehugger back on board the Nostromo
- A medical report on Facehugger victim Marachuk, John J.
- Corporal Hicks' final status report
- A copy of Robert Morse's fictional book Space Beast
- A debrief report from USM Auriga survivor Y. Bose
The report draws on over thirty years' worth of Alien movie concept art, production design art, film stills and other visual assets, and for the first time directly links the events of Prometheus with the Alien films.
As well as the standard edition, the book was also published as a deluxe Collectors' Edition, featuring numerous additional insert items and an exclusive sculpted slipcase created by renowned collectibles sculptor Patrick Pigott and colored by ex-Industrial Light & Magic artist Don Bies. The Collectors' Edition was released through Sideshow Collectibles in May 2015, almost a year before the standard English version.
The exclusive inserts and removable items packaged with the Collectors' Edition include:
- An acetate of Ash's initial findings on the Facehugger
- A charred letter written by Janek shortly after landing on LV-223
- Veterinarian report on Jones the cat
- An acetate chest X-ray showing the development of Kane's Chestburster
- An acetate of Burke's directive to Hadley's Hope asking them to investigate the derelict co-ordinates
- Private Hudson's discharge papers
- Rebecca Jorden's first grade progress report
- A Bug Stomper nose art sticker
- An acetate of a communiqué from Burke to Weyland-Yutani regarding his plans to impregnating Ripley and Newt
- An acetate of Andrews' report on the EEV crash
- Extracts from Dr. Gediman's journal
- A replica of Carter J. Burke's communication card
The book was first previewed at New York Comic-Con 2013. At booth #1134 during the event, an approximately 4"x 6" promotional card was given out, giving a summary of the book's content on the rear. The card also contained additional details on the book, including the publisher and number of pages.
- In-universe, the report is said to have been written several months after the USM Auriga crashes into Earth, before the Weyland-Yutani Corporation returns as a serious global power (as described in the novel Alien: Sea of Sorrows).
- The book reveals for the first time the full names of several characters in the film series that were previously only known by a single name. Following the precedent set with the Colonial Marines in Aliens, many of these expanded names are shared with the actor/actress who played the character.
- In initial printings of the report, the bio for Vriess on the Betty crew page incorrectly stated that he died on the Auriga, when clearly he did not. Later versions correct this.
- Aliens: Colonial Marines Technical Manual — A similar technical guide about the United States Colonial Marine Corps.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Amazon.fr - Le Rapport Weyland-Yutani". Retrieved on 2015-07-21.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "The Fandom Post - 'Alien: The Weyland-Yutani Report' Release Detailed". Retrieved on 2015-07-21.
- ↑ New York Comic-Con 2013 approximately 4"x 6" promo card
- ↑ http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=49493.0
- ↑ "Amazon.es - Alien: El informe Weyland- Yutani (Comic Usa)". Retrieved on 2015-07-24.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 "Amazon.co.uk - Alien: The Weyland Yutani Report". Retrieved on 2016-01-06.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 "Sideshow Collectibles - Alien: The Weyland-Yutani Report Collectors' Edition". Retrieved on 2014-09-05.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 "eBay - NYCC 2013 Alien The Weyland Yutani Report Large Promo Card". Retrieved on 2014-1-1.